Weathered OSB for basement work table top

Old 01-17-15, 11:21 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Weathered OSB for basement work table top

Hi,

I was thinking of creating a work table in my basement by taking two old bathroom sink cabinets, and laying a couple of layers of OSB panel on top.

I happen to have a 4x8 OSB panel that's been sitting under my deck for the last 2 years. If i bring it in my garage to let it air out and dry out for a few days, would there be any issues if I were to cut it up and use for my table top?

I hate to waste stuff.. but at the same time i don't want to be bringing in a family of mold into the home.

thanks!
Ed

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-15, 02:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 119 Votes on 106 Posts
Hard to say without seeing it but if it's not too far gone you can clean it up with a bleach/water solution [rinse well] and then paint it when it dries. I'd inspect the chips to see if they are still glued together well and an absence of swelling before I spent time cleaning it up.

Old 01-17-15, 09:11 PM
Even when brand new, I don't think you'd be happy with the performance of OSB for a work table top, as it's too prone to splintering. But there's always the option of gluing/screwing a tempered masonite top onto the OSB to give it more durability.

Old 01-17-15, 09:12 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Going to make one poor work surface even if it was brand new.

Old 01-18-15, 06:43 AM
sorry - i forgot to mention that i was planning on screwing a thin top surface similar to what BridgeMan45 suggests. So, the osb would be used simply as an underlayment - i would cut the 4x8 sheet to 2 2x8's, and stack them on top of each other.

From inspection, the strands still seem to be in tact. But I'm not sure what marksr means by "swelling" - you mean if the strands are puffed up above the surface? Perhaps just a little bit, but hard to tell how significant since i don't have a new osb to compare right now. The perimeter outer edges are darkened, and the over all shape has concave'd a bit along the long side.

I didn't think of cleaning it with bleach and water - that makes perfect sense to do so!

thanks!

Old 01-18-15, 07:22 AM
Received 55 Votes on 50 Posts
It's the left over wood chips and glue, so, compared to lumber of plywood, you might think of it as what scrapple is to a pork roast. And extremely porus when compared to lumber or plywood, so it absorbs moisture readily, which causes it to swell. It definitely will not make the best top, but I'm sure that it's been done before. If you want something to be able to pound on, clamp to, maybe mount a vise to, I would go with a plywood base at a minimum, but preferably 2x's. If you're going to use it for gun cleaning, electronics, repair the vacuum cleaner, or whatever, yes, it would probably suffice with a piece of masonite over it.

Oh, and I would not screw a top to it, as they will pull out in short order. Glue it, and/or wrap the edges with 1x dado'd to fit around both pieces.

Old 01-18-15, 07:30 AM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
A used solid core flat surface wood door would be a lot better and I wouldn't consider bathroom cabinets more then garbage if particle board. If you use them and they have no backs you need to add backs to them to keep them from going out of square. A couple of cheap ready made wood saw horses might be a better base though I prefer the heavy metal ones (not the cheesy stamped thin metal ones).

Old 01-18-15, 11:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 119 Votes on 106 Posts
When OSB absorbs moisture and swells up - it looses most of it's strength along with a propensity of the chips coming loose. One of my work tops is OSB and has held up well although it doesn't see a lot of work since it has both a bending brake and drill press mounted on it.