Crumbling concrete around floor drain

Old 01-18-15, 06:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Crumbling concrete around floor drain

Our basement floor drain has had water and soap pooling on it for years. It dries, and gets wet again and again. This has caused the concrete around it to start to spall. I want to use polymer modified concrete resurfacer. I started scrubbing the damaged concrete with a wire brush, but it keeps on creating dust and large grains of sand (smaller than a pebble) I started getting worried that I would just keep scrubbing and the concrete would keep turning to dust. I switched to a nylon brush, and in some spots it doesn't seem to be going any further, but in others I keep on scrubbing the concrete to dust. How hard should I scrub, and with what kind of brush? Should I scrub really hard with a wire brush until nothing comes up anymore, or softly with a nylon brush?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-15, 03:24 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Would it be possible for you to post pictures of what you have, so we can see what you see? http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 01-19-15, 04:49 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Here's a picture. The drain cover is 8 inches in diameter. The deepest hole is 5/8 inch deep along the drain cover ( hole is the crack coming toward you on the bottom of the picture), and the spalling averages 4 inches out from the drain. The bulk of the spalling is fairly shallow 1/8 inch or so. The hole is 5/8 in deep, 2 inches wide along the circumference of the drain and 3/4 inch long extending away from the drain.

The hole at the bottom of the picture is pretty stable. It's when I scrub at the top that everything turns to dust.
Name:  drain1cpr.jpg
Views: 778
Size:  50.3 KB

Last edited by neuromancer; 01-19-15 at 05:04 PM. Reason: added image