Efflorescence on cinder block foundation wall.

Old 01-18-15, 06:33 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Efflorescence on cinder block foundation wall.

I have efflorescence on basement walls. Is repair possible without exterior waterproofing?

East York detached home. Originally built 50+ years ago. Torn down and rebuilt about 10 years ago. Cinder block foundation walls. Mostly finished basement. Efflorescence appears in several places. Several versions of the same crumbly stuff.

Photo 1: Front left corner of house has the biggest problem. Note side door entrance to basement.

Name:  DSC00414.jpg
Views: 3285
Size:  28.1 KB

Photo 2: Side door to basement with efflorescence.

Name:  DSC00421.jpg
Views: 3587
Size:  30.6 KB

Photo 3: Inside the same door we see paint bubbling. This is above grade. Pretty sure this is painted plaster overtop cinder blocks.

Name:  DSC00447.jpg
Views: 3991
Size:  15.7 KB

Photo 4: Just below stairs is painted cinderblock with heavy crumbling. Side wall to right, front wall to left.

Name:  DSC00437.jpg
Views: 4890
Size:  20.1 KB

Photo 5: Front wall of house at base of stairs. Note paint peeling paint on cinder blocks. Not as much crumbling but some. Note step crack at top right.

Name:  DSC00434.jpg
Views: 1475
Size:  24.4 KB

What should I do?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-15, 07:24 PM
Received 17 Votes on 15 Posts
I don't see an easy solution. I'm thinking a Mike Holmes excavation down to the footings and then apply a rubber membrane, But I can guess you don't want to go for that. But paint on the inside is just delaying the evaporation, can't stop the moisture vapor. Note. I said moisture vapor and not water, two different states of H2o. Even if you moisture proofed the exterior wall, moisture would still be able to wick up from the footings below.

The efflorescence is the result of moisture, vapor or liquid reaching the surface and evaporating leaving behind the minerals it dissolved from your block foundation. Long term it can damage the foundation.

Let's see if others see any options.

Bud