Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

How do frame 3/4 high walls onto brick - basement

Old 01-20-15, 03:06 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I have an old house with brick load-bearing walls. I also have a boiler with a lot of pipes running under the basement ceiling close to the walls. I want to put up three walls for a simple home theater. The pipes make full walls difficult and the plaster/lathe ceiling makes attaching to floor joists even more difficult. My plan was to just build partial walls, about 3/4 up.

I've seen where people attach blocking onto concrete walls and attach the framing studs to these blocks - along with an attached sole plate on the floor. Does this sound like the right way to go? What's the best way to attach the blocks to the brick?

Any advice is welcome

Thanks,

Jon

Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-15, 03:11 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forums! It is always best to build walls free standing from any concrete/brick wall. It keeps you from driving fasteners into an otherwise non leaking wall and it allows you to make your walls straight. Bottom plate, pressure treated 2x, studs and top plates of non PT lumber. Where the walls will run parallel to your joists, insert blocking across those joists to attach your top plates to.

Old 01-20-15, 03:24 PM
Thanks Chandler,

I would love to attach these walls to the joists above but the ceiling is plaster lathe - would you tear down part of the ceiling and expose the joists and then frame over the pipes?

Old 01-20-15, 03:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 195 Votes on 181 Posts
Hard to give advice when we can't see what you see... got any pictures? Personally, I would not be afraid to glue and screw a top plate "wherever possible" to your plaster and lathe. Your screws may miss here and there but if you put in enough of them it won't be going anywhere. Snap a chalk line on the ceiling and plumb down from it to the floor on each end, then snap that line on the floor too. Make sure your chalk lines (framing) will be 3/4" - 1" away from the foundation walls.

You may need to skip a stud here and there if there are places where the top plate starts and stops, but you can put a horizontal 2x4 between the ones that go all the way top to bottom, and then frame to that.

Old 01-20-15, 03:59 PM
Ok - that sounds pretty doable. Thanks. Do you use screws for the whole job?

I'll post some pics tonight after work.

Old 01-20-15, 04:20 PM
You can use screws. Just use coated decking screws. For the bottom plate into the concrete use either a powder actuated pin nailer or tapcons.

Old 01-20-15, 05:59 PM
I wonder what would cause more cracking in the plaster lath - framing nailer or screws?

Old 01-20-15, 09:40 PM
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  22.2 KB

Here's a picture - trying from the phone.

Old 01-21-15, 03:03 AM
Pictures are a big help! Thanks. What specific problem are the pipes causing and how would building walls help? Where do you propose these walls go?

Old 01-21-15, 07:54 AM
I'm going to put up my big TV and two speakers. The speakers don't need to be mounted on the wall. I was thinking of building a shelf in the wall to hold electronics and DVDs but that's not for sure because I also have a stand alone old phonograph that I've turned into a cabinet that held the reciever etc. in the old house.

The walls are my solution to relocate power receptacles and to run power from TV and electronics from close by. The studs would also allow me to hang the TV without drilling into brick.

The pipes are only a problem because of the proposed walls (unless you know how to fix a banging steam pipe - another project).

I'm open to not putting up walls but the wife doesn't want wires running from distant outlets, etc.. Name:  IMG_0710.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  23.5 KB

Here are some more pics showing the current receptacle and a bigger picture of the area.

Old 01-21-15, 08:03 AM
I guess I could just hang the TV on the wall with the receptacle - ha.

Old 01-21-15, 03:02 PM
Wifey is always right. You could build a wall along your viewing wall and just step down at the large return duct. That would give you a full wall to run your electrical, HDMI, etc. behind it. You could also insulate it to help with sound deadening and creature comfort.

Old 01-21-15, 03:55 PM
She didn't go for hanging it close to the outlet so I guess I'll get started.

I'll keep you updated - I'm sure I'll need help.

Great site by the way.