Crawl Space remediation question about regrading

Old 01-22-15, 06:23 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Crawl Space remediation question about regrading

Upon purchase of a house I had a contractor (recommended by my realtor, I know a major no no) remediate a damp crawlspace. After several issues (water getting on top of the liner and sump pumps not being sealed, liner not being sealed after repairs, etc etc) I am beginning to doubt the quality of work.

Now that we got water to stop coming in from the outside, I've been bugging them about the grading of the crawl space. Lots of peaks and throughs for water to pool in. And just this past week my PT valve on my hot water heat boiler tripped and dumped water into the basement. The sump pump alarm never sounded and no water made it the 25 feet to the pump. Some made to around the pump but none actually went in.

My question is this: when I pay for a regrading what should I expect? I know it will never be smooth and flat like a rat slab in terms of grading but should I expect some level of flatness? Like less than an 1inch peaks and troughs? right now we probably have 3-4 inch deep pools of water.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-15, 07:20 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
#1 That line never should have been directed to under the house, add more line and run it outside.
I slip a small blob of fiberglass insulation into the drain line on the outside to help keep insects out, but if it pops again the line would not be restricted.
Why would a sump pump pit need to be sealed?
Near impossible to completely level and grade in a crawl space like that.
If the outside of the foundation is water proofed there should be no water under the house, unless you have a blow out like you did.

Old 01-22-15, 07:45 AM
Sealed wasn't the correct term, I guess I should have said "together" as in it was taken apart to and never fully screwed together. I used sealed b/c it was sold as a sealed system which seems odd.

Yeah and that has been my point this whole time with the company. Lots of leaks getting into the basement by there doing (missed a vent cover, did not properly seal a sump discharge line). The outside of the foundation wasn't sealed to my knowledge but the promised the liner would create a water tight system (the line the cinder block walls up to the joist). Part of the issue here is that I live in a place with Marsh in its name and I'm in a low spot so we get lots of water.

My major concern though is resell. This is my families first home and probably not last, so I want to make sure that when a home inspector comes in and looks at the crawl space he doesn't see it and say "Well, its been partially addressed but the grading is out of whack or etc etc".

Also, could I make a makeshift "drain" in the floor and pipe it to the sump for the PT discharge? I Basically put an inch pipe below the pt discharge that would route the water to the sump pump. I don't really want to run it to the outside b/c I have small children and the only place I could discharge to on the outside is either a) on the deck or b) next to the deck where the outside spicket is. I find both are high risks for scalding someone.