Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Masonite Textured 6-Panel Hollow Core Interior Door

Masonite Textured 6-Panel Hollow Core Interior Door

Old 01-25-15, 09:25 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Post Masonite Textured 6-Panel Hollow Core Interior Door

I would like to know if this door would be a very good door to use in a finished basement Masonite Textured 6-Panel Hollow Core Primed Composite Prehung Interior Door?

How good do they hold up?
Are they a strong will built door?

I am looking at one from Home Depot this is the infro on it: Masonite Model # 73172 Internet # 100091456 Store SKU # 310889
Textured 6-Panel Hollow Core Primed Composite Prehung Interior Door.
At $64.00 is it a average door or a chap door?

The basement is dry.
If you could give a few pointers it would help.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-15, 10:14 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Hollow core doors are basic, contractor grade, lightweight substitutes for the real thing. They are not strong, will be subject to moisture since they are mostly MDF, and offer little security.

If you are looking for a quality door, you will need to upgrade to a solid pine door. You can thank me a year or so down the road. Be sure to paint all 6 sides of any door you hang to prevent moisture from infiltrating the fibers. Of course it comes with a price difference. You may find them cheaper elsewhere, but here's an example. 6-Panel Clear Pine Solid Core Prehung Interior Door-HDCP6628L - The Home Depot

Old 01-25-15, 11:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
The masonite doors paint nicer than the solid wood panel doors! I wouldn't be afraid of them if the humidity is kept under control and you paint the tops and bottoms of the doors. As Larry said, a hollow core door is never as stout as a solid door.

Old 01-25-15, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator
I think the best of both worlds is the Safe -n-Sound Masonite doors. Very solid, paint well, cut sound, good burn rating (though not officially rated I don't think), much more stable than wood.

Special order...but probably no more than a wood door.

Old 01-27-15, 09:06 AM
Another question to ask is what will be the purpose of the door. In my basement I will be using hollow core doors for the closets but solid doors for the main entranceway (which will be used much more often) and also for the utility room because I want to limit the amount of sound which will be transferred from the furnace.

Old 01-27-15, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator
Smart move Shaun. They look the same (assuming you mean Masonite type doors) but why spend more for a closet? Does your utility area have enough air transfer for the furnace?

Old 01-27-15, 11:27 AM
Good question regarding the air transfer and while I called it a utility room I probably shouldn't call it that since it leads a utility / storage area which is approx 400 sq ft with good air flow.

Old 01-30-15, 04:34 PM
The door you're asking about is akin to probably 65% of the doors in the main floors of homes, with maybe 25% being the old hollow flat slab type and only the remaining 10% being solid wood like Chandler mentioned. So in many respects, yes, it's OK, b/c its pretty much the norm.
That said - real wood doors are so much nicer! they block sound better, they don't rattle when closed... but the reason they are less common is the price!

FYI if you want wood doors, often you can get a great deal at a local Habitat Re-Store, or other places that scavenge and sell used building supplies.