Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

framing placed over concrete slab - use vapor barrier/moisture barrier ?

Old 01-25-15, 12:08 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hello all,

I'm going to be putting down laminate wood flooring over a concrete basement slab. The slab slopes down about 2.5-3" on the far side. I have a friend who has done flooring, and is excellent at carpentry.

His plan is to create a flooring frame, over the concrete slab, and either cut the runners on a slope such that the final deck was level,... or use furring strips under the runners to achieve a level deck.

I've researched for a couple of days, and keep getting different opinions. I'm pretty sure I need to put "something" over the concrete before laying down the pressure treated wood. Should it be something like a thick plastic sheathing to try and stop any moisture from coming up through the concrete,... or should it be some type of membrane that allows for a controlled release of moisture?

Moreover, it seems to me that whichever is used, it wouldn't be a good idea to fasten the runner to the concrete, thus puncturing the barrier. I've read about "sleeper floor frames", should I use this method?

I realize that pouring a bonded concrete would likely be the best method for leveling, but neither of us have worked much with concrete, and I honestly don't have the budget to hire a crew.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Marc

Old 01-25-15, 12:20 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
So far you are right on all counts except installing laminate in a basement. A moisture test should be performed on the concrete first and foremost. If there is any moisture evident, laminate would be your worst choice of flooring. Laying a vapor barrier, then a sleeper system would work to even out the concrete to install subflooring material in a normal situation. Pouring the bonding concrete would work as well, but 3" is a bunch of concrete.

Old 01-25-15, 12:49 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sadly, I too am now aware of laminate not being a good choice for a basement. I'd already purchased a couple of pallets from Lowe's last year to take advantage of a promo, so I'm kinda stuck using it. That said, I was going for "as close to wood as possible" look, and laminate seemed to be the best choice. At least the only one that looks like wood, eg, not engineered, or hardwood.

When we moved in last year, there were water issues, which have been taken care of. I have a nice dehumidifier in place, and have had no water entry for a year, and we've had some downpours here in SC!

In regards to a vapor barrier, I'm still not sure whether to try and stop all moister, ie, plastic sheathing, or use something else altogether that allows for a "controlled moisture release", since supposedly the concrete will always wick moisture, and if I completely cover the concrete, it would invite mold underneath. Is this accurate?

I'm so confused! lol

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: