Basement layout advice?!?

Old 01-25-15, 04:42 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Basement layout advice?!?

So this summer I had some funds to finally add an egress window to my basement. Now i'm about to start framing it in for electrical and drywall. However I'm wondering if now would be the time to maybe change the layout of the current setup. You see my basement (house was built in 1954) was framed off with blocked walls into two rooms a rec room and a bedroom.

My issue is that the current walkway to the bedroom ceiling is mainly under the low ductwork where only 20.5 inches of that is the full basement ceiling height of 81.5 inches.

So my thoughts are to maybe remove (if even possible) the short wall that frames the rec room off, then add a doorway to the bedroom off the rec room, then buildout the bathroom towards that removed wall. Then I could frame off the furnace room and then add a door into the furnace room basically where the original bedroom door opening was.

Next question, is it even realistic to have people expected to walk under a span of 46.5 low ductwork of just over 6 feet.

Not sure if it's possible to change the ductwork at all either or even financially feasible.

I've attached several pics of the current configuration and my proposed plan via good old Microsoft Clipart. I know my handrawn pic isn't too scale or anything but it's just a rough draft, the red lines are doors, and the blue line is dividing the before and after.

Not sure if any of this is even possible but if anyone has any advice that would be great and so appreciated. Man thing is if removing any of these walls is even feasible. I'm sure most of this is "clear as mud" but please let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks!

Attached Images        

Last edited by jessb_55; 01-25-15 at 05:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-15, 05:07 PM
Not sure why two of my pics are sideways as the originals aren't! Where you see the tongue and groove that is the current bathroom.

Old 01-27-15, 09:24 AM
Most building codes require a 7-ft. ceiling height for habitable spaces, which is 84". Install the new window if you want to, but keep that in mind before pumping lots of $$$ into your basement improvement.

Old 01-27-15, 11:31 AM
Thx for the heads up

Thx for the headsup but unfortunately now I feel sick as I already paid a company to install the 2k window this past summer so if my ceilings aren't high enough I'm screwed and I wasted a lot of money 😁.

Here's what my state code says

Bedrooms, as well as the exit path to the stair or the exterior door, shall have a ceiling height of not less than 7 feet measured from the finished floor to the lowest projection from the ceiling (exception: beams and girders spaced not less than 4 feet on center may project not more than 6 inches below the required ceiling height). In existing structures where a 7 foot ceiling height cannot be obtained, it is considered non-habitable space.

Can you tell me of the exception above would apply to my situation or what that exception actually states\means?

I'm so angry with the construction company for not mentioning the ceiling thing if that's the case!

Old 01-27-15, 11:54 AM
I wouldn't lose sleep over it. Look at it from the standpoint of having made a definite (and possibly life-saving, in the event of a fire) improvement. Just don't advertise it as a fully habitable space if you ever decide to sell the place.

Old 01-27-15, 05:09 PM
:(

welp, just as expected, I confirmed the finished ceiling height in the basement and they are at 81.5 inches, 82 in the unfinished rooms up to the floor joists.
I'm so sad, I spent this money and time to "Add" value to the home and to say it was a 3 bedroom and now it's looking like i'll be a couple inches shy of that

Ugh, do I go on to finish the space, how much of a turnoff to a buyer is having the 2 inch too low ceiling going to be?

Man I feel so dumb!

Old 01-27-15, 06:44 PM
Don'[t think for a minute you are the first person to make that mistake. Consider it a lesson learned. In fact, the second-last house we bought in WA about 11 years ago had a finished basement that included one of the 4 bedrooms listed in the realtor's brochure--I knew what it was going in, with low ceilings like yours and the basement bedroom window not meeting egress code requirements. The seller was even using the bedroom to keep small foster kids in. I pointed those things out to the listing realtor (she wasn't happy about it), and made a corresponding low offer to buy the place a few days later anyway, as we were desperate to find a place and get our stuff out of storage.

Only you can make the decision to continue finishing the basement, or just drop everything where it is now. I'd be inclined to continue with the job, while knowing what there is when it's finished is not a code-approved extra bedroom.