Foam board insulation around obstacles

Old 02-06-15, 09:14 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Foam board insulation around obstacles

I am installing 2" Foam Board around my basement walls.
How do I handle going around PVC plumbing pipes that are installed against a wall?
Do I glue the foam as close as possible to the PVC pipes and then apply Great Stuff to seal the gaps? I plan on framing around the pipes so the foam boards will not be against the studs. My concern is what if the glue fails?

If I use batt insulation in the studded wall instead of the foam board I an concerned about condensation.

Also, the incoming public water supply comes through another wall. I can install foam board around it, but then there is a ground wire from the water meter that will press against the foam board. I am thinking this isn't a good idea. Any suggestions?

Old 02-06-15, 01:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! What is your plan for covering the foam boards. They cannot be left without a covering. Sheetrock, wood, other materials must be applied over it to prevent off gassing in a fire situation.

Old 02-06-15, 06:08 PM
K
2x4 studs in front of the XPS and then drywall.
Around the obstacles, I plan on moving the stud wall away from the wall to avoid the obstacles.

Old 02-11-15, 03:16 AM
K
I am going to move the ground wire.
Is there a way to check to see if there is any current running through the ground wire to see if it's necessary to shut the power off for the whole house?

Old 02-22-15, 01:31 PM
L
Kemqual have you found your answer yet? I have a similar problem. I don't think there's enough room between the PVC pipes and the concrete wall to fit the 2" foam board. Not covering it will leave a gap, but I'm thinking that's better than trying to move the pipes? Would love to hear what you came up with. Thanks.

Old 02-22-15, 01:36 PM
K
Cut the foam around the obstructions, and then seal the gaps with spray foam.

If you have current running through the ground wire, you have an electrical issue and need to get an electrician in to address it ASAP.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: