Concrete in Crawl Space

Old 02-08-15, 09:59 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Concrete in Crawl Space

Hi-

I live on Long Island, and I'm in the process of having my 325 sq. ft. crawlspace insulated and waterproofed. Part of the work involved pouring a four inch concrete slab on the floor. The two linked pictures show that the concrete was not poured all the way to the edge, and it tapers to far less than four inches. Is this typical of a concrete pour in a crawl space or did I just get a sloppy job--the waterproofing company had contracted out for the concrete, and I was told that this is the standard way it's poured. I have a bill for $3k for the concrete job, but I have not paid for it yet, so I would like to know whether or not I should be asking for this to be fixed, and if so, what can be done to improve it.

I know this is a DIY board, so I was thinking that my other option, assuming no more work will be done by a professional to fix this, is to finish off the edges myself, since it is a small area (the white substance in the pictures is waterproofing coating over dirt around the edges, from when they sprayed the walls). I was wondering if anybody has any advice on which way I should go with this problem.

Thanks,

Smallhouseguy

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-15, 11:47 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

How thick is the slab once it gets away from the footer? Not sure how well cement will bond to the painted portion of the footer. IMO 4" thick slab is overkill for a crawlspace but if that's what the contract specified .....

Old 02-08-15, 01:21 PM
Concrete depth

Marksr,

Thanks for your reply--the concrete does reach 4 inches as it gets away from the walls, and possibly deeper because I believe they did not level the space properly before pouring. It was only $250 more for 4 inches instead of 2 inches, so I went for it. I didn't anticipate this problem, though.

-Smallhouseguy

Old 02-09-15, 03:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
If the rest of the slab is 4" thick, I think you got what you paid for. A 2" slab would have only butted up to the edge of the footer instead of slightly overlapping it.

Old 02-09-15, 03:49 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
IMO, the footer was exposed to 4", and the concrete was poured to meet the footer at a cold joint. Should not present a problem in a crawl space, since the area won't be used for traffic, and you are having it waterproofed. The slag over the top of the footer is inconsequential.

Old 02-13-15, 04:28 PM
you probably ' bought ' what they sold you - not what shouldda been done i often wish i were that good a salesman instead of my usual direct & objective jerk,,, looks to me like blocks are sitting ON the foundation as a full block's exposed on far wall,,, so i don't ' see ' the new conc overlapping the footer at all,,, where's the wtrproofing system you mentioned - outside ?