No footer?

Old 02-21-15, 06:55 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No footer?

My house was built in the 40's. I have cut an interior weeping tile trench along the west, east, and south walls in the basement. The west and east walls have an obvious footer extending approx. 6 inches in from the block walls. The south wall, however, does not seem to have a concrete footing. What I'm finding is rock under the concrete block wall. Does this make any sense at all, only a partial footer?

Old 02-21-15, 06:57 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
Not sure about that age. Sometimes rock pillars or walls were used for footings. Can you post a few pictures of what you are finding?

Old 02-21-15, 08:55 AM
Received 356 Votes on 321 Posts
I've also chiseled a small trench due to an interior leak in basement wall. I encountered crushed stone once I drilled thru the floor. Not sure how my footer is configured.

Old 02-21-15, 10:19 AM
C
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Does it make sense, no, but I have seen several done with no footings. If they dug to what appeared to be load bearing material, rock, hardpan,or even a compacted sand/gravel mix, I think they felt they really couldn't do any better than that and poured the walls on that. I have yet to see block laid up without a footer but I guess if it is on stable rock it is conceivable.

Old 02-21-15, 11:20 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
While we're waiting on pix. When our church was built (shortly after the war of northern aggression), there was a formidable rock outcropping that they could not blast (lack of gunpower, I guess), so they built on it and around it. So Biblically, our church is built on a "rock". You can go down to the "dungeon" and see it today. It ain't moving.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: