Water in finished basement

Old 02-23-15, 05:32 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water in finished basement

hello I don't know if this is the correct spot or not but I have a tri level home with a finished basement. today my sump pump went out and we got about 1" of water. I just finished new dry wall and tons of other work. I can I fix this with out mold and with out tearing all my week old rywall down. thank you for any help

Old 02-23-15, 05:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 939 Votes on 857 Posts
1" of water should not present a problem if you get it dried out right away. Get plenty of box fans going. If water would have soaked the fiberglass, that might be a different story.

Old 02-23-15, 05:44 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
That's a tough one. If water got inside the walls you would want to open about a foot of the bottom and remove any wet insulation and quickly dry it out. At 1", assuming a 1.5" pressure treated bottom plate, you might be ok. In any case, fans and a dehumidifier asap.

What is on the floor? And what is behind that drywall?

The thought that your sump pump is having to handle any water is not a good sign for having a finished basement.

Bud

Old 02-23-15, 05:45 PM
K
You are almost certain to have mold issues after a flood situation with drywall. If it had enough time to start soaking up the wall, it will have to come out. I usually will cut all the wet drywall out 25" from the floor around the room. Once it is off you will want to run some heaters and fans or dehumidifiers in the room for a few days to make sure all the wet woods is dry. Spray an antimould soultion around everthing that was affected and then you can close it back in.

What did you have for flooring and trim?

Old 02-23-15, 05:51 PM
W
I can push on the base of the dry wall and it still seems soild

Old 02-23-15, 05:54 PM
K
How long was it flooded before you got it cleaned up?

Old 02-23-15, 06:00 PM
W
its a tile floor and the only insulation is 1" foam against all out side walls. I have turned the heat up got fans going and two dehumidifiers. Im going to pull the baseboard off so it can dry better. it was probley wet for a few hours before I got home so it had some time to soak in

Old 02-23-15, 06:10 PM
W
I sprayed everything with a mold spray and bleach water before I closed it all in before I hung the dry wall if that helps

Old 02-23-15, 06:14 PM
K
You will be able to dry out the drywall using the fans and dehumidifiers you have now, but that does not mean the back side will dry. If there is no wood frame wall (I assume not since you say there is solid foam behind the drywall, you have a fighting chance, since there is no bottom plate that could have soaked up the water. If you do have a framed wall and bottom plate, it will never dry out fast enough to prevent mould without opening up the wall. The worst thing about not removing it is you will never know if there is mould growing behind it or not until you start getting that musty smell or feal sick.

Old 02-23-15, 06:17 PM
K
At a minimum, you could just cut out the bottom 3 inches of the wall, at least you will be able to see if anything is wet behind it, and you will not have any patch work to do . The baseboard will cover up that seam.

Old 02-23-15, 06:33 PM
W
ok that's a good idea I pulled the baseboard off and I used the green mold bord for some walls it looks like its wet about a half inch up on the out side. thank you

Old 02-23-15, 06:46 PM
K
You may want to consider replacing the piece you cut out with cement board, just in case it floods again. It will not wick the water like drywall.

In the meantime, install a second sump pump with the float set a little higher in case the first one goes out

Old 02-24-15, 08:27 AM
W
ok I said to heck with it and stated cutting 16" up and some spots 24 to 30 what I came up with is a lot was dry but in one corner and in the closet there are a couple spots of mold not nuch bigger then a pencile eraser but a few in each of the two aeras. Whats the best thing to use to clean this up. thank you

Old 02-24-15, 08:30 AM
K
There are all kinds of commercially available mold removers that you can find on the shelf of any hardware store. As well, there are a lot of homemade remedies too.

Take a look at this site and it will point you in the right direction.

Mold Removal, How to Kill Mold with Bleach, Borax, Vinegar

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: