Tight stud wall to joist

Old 02-26-15, 05:27 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tight stud wall to joist

I may be worrying about nothing, but I am finishing my basement and doing all the framing now. When I built my stud wall that runs parallel to my stairs, I guess I didn't give a whole lot of play with the stud height. I built my wall on the floor and then lifted into place. Needless to say it was very snug before I got the bottom plate into place.
So I lined up the top plate and used a sledgehammer to move the bottom plate into place. It went in fine, but I had to give a few strong hits of the sledgehammer to get it into place. The studs aren't bowed, but it's very tight. It's only about a 5 1/2 ft. long wall.
Will this cause any structural issues with the above floor? Maybe it is pushing up on the joist? It may be a dumb question, and like I said, I may be worrying about nothing, but I always worry about these little things after they are done!

Old 02-26-15, 05:33 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 408 Votes on 364 Posts
Normally you build the wall a little short, erect it and then insert shims to make it tight .... or build the wall in place. I think your wall will be fine.

Old 02-26-15, 05:34 AM
H
Re:

And I apologize. I realized after the fact that I probably should've posted this in the Framing forum.

Old 02-26-15, 05:36 AM
K
Wall will be ok, but take the suggestions of Mark for the next one. If you did lift the floor above any you would probably notice some small cracks forming somewhere right above the wall.

Old 02-26-15, 05:41 AM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
Structural problems? No. A couple of nail pops, maybe. Continue on, I've banged a few studs into place before without issue. If there was no wall there before, near a stair opening, you probably make the upstairs sturdier than it was before.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: