Access to joist bay between floors

Old 03-02-15, 12:46 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Access to joist bay between floors

Hi all.
I have a pest problem somewhere between my floors (I hear scratching at night). The distance between the ceiling of 1st floor and the sub-floor of 2nd floor is approximately 20 inches, but I do not have any access to it. How would I go about making a hatch to access that joist bay?
  • Go through the finished floor and the subfloor of the 2nd floor
  • Go through the ceiling in the kitchen
  • Go through the wall in the living room (it is 2 floors high)
The 2nd and the 3rd methods are not very aesthetic, especially if I go through living room. But I am not sure I like the idea of destroying my finished floors (laminate) either. Which method would you recommend? Is there a code for this?

Old 03-02-15, 12:51 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Drywall is cheap.
Figured out how there getting in?
How would you know exactly which bay there in?
What's the plan even if you did find out where they are?

Old 03-02-15, 12:55 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 403 Votes on 359 Posts
I agree both with the ceiling being easier/cheaper to repair and how would you know which joist bay to access? although at 20" I assume you have floor trusses, some of which are open.

Old 03-02-15, 01:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,505 Votes on 1,393 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

If there is 20" between the floor and the ceiling then it's not a typical joist bay. That distance would almost indicate a dropped ceiling so cutting thru sheetrock makes more sense but like Joe mentioned.... once opened... what next ?

Is this in a one family dwelling that you own ?

Old 03-03-15, 03:18 AM
N
More info

Thank you all for your replies.

I was assuming that the space has trusses, is it possible that it won't? How would the bays be divided in this case?
Also I was thinking about installing a hatch rather than repair so that I would have access to the area in the future. Is this feasible?

To answer your questions:
  • No, we haven't figured out how they are getting in. I had Pest Control make a walk-through and they couldn't find any access points.
  • The plan is to set a trap and remove whatever gets caught. Someone was advising me to use poison, but I don't want anything rotting between floors...
  • Yes, this is a single family home with 2 floors.

Old 03-03-15, 04:22 AM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
IF you have 20", then it should be open trusses, so building a hatch, like you mentioned would be advisable. Repairs often don't turn out well. Is there another area adjacent to the kitchen that you could access, like a closet or mud room? The joists will run the entire length of the house, so they are interconnected.

Old 03-03-15, 11:41 AM
N
Thanks everyone. I am looking into making a hatch now. The only question remaining is where? Here are the options:
  • Ceiling in the kichen
  • Ceiling in the living room (limited, so going to be a very small hatch, but I was actually planning on fishing some cables through in the future)
  • Ceiling in the dining room (I think this is out of question for "wife" reasons)
  • Wall in the living room (would also look ugly)
  • Floor in Master Bedroom
  • Floor in Walk-In Closet (access to the attic is through this closet as well)

Old 03-03-15, 01:23 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
No closest that will work on the lower floor? The ceiling is generally the way to go but if it had to be in a floor - a closet floor is best. I have a small cellar that only has access thru a trap door in my closet floor or an exterior door. My wife keeps that part of the floor piled up with shoes and boxes which eliminates easy access

Old 03-03-15, 02:15 PM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
So, Mark, I guess escaping egregious Union forces via your tunnel is out of the question.

Old 03-03-15, 02:19 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
The main reason I installed that hatch was in case a bad storm came up but my wife won't go into the cellar because there are spiders down there, she'd rather blow away with the house than face a bug

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: