Ceiling water damaged from ice dam

Old 03-09-15, 09:29 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ceiling water damaged from ice dam

Hi,
I had some bad ice dams in a few spots this year and some water backed up, saturated and stained the ceiling in one of our bedrooms. I went in the attic and while the bedroom's ceiling sheetrock is saturated, the insulation (rolled, backed) is only slightly wet. The leak has stopped and I intend to repaint the ceiling next month to cover the staining.
I need your opinion...My attic will be very hot and dry for the next 9 months. We have no attic moisture problems. Would your replace the insulation and sheetrock out of mold concerns? Does the lack of constant moisture mean I shouldn't worry? Does a one time exposure to water not pose a threat (if dried promptly)?
Please let me know your thoughts
BTW- I am now well versed now on ice dams and prevention.
Thanks
Tom

Old 03-09-15, 10:22 AM
Group Moderator
Received 942 Votes on 860 Posts
Does a one time exposure to water not pose a threat (if dried promptly)
If dried promptly, it will be fine. Get box fans up in the attic, and roll back the insulation away from the area to help speed up the drying process.

Old 03-09-15, 11:16 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I'd at least toss out any insulation that got wet and replace it once everything dries out.

Old 03-09-15, 12:20 PM
C
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Wet insulation will usually lose the ability to trap air as the spaces get compressed from water intrusion. Sometimes you don't really know how wet it is until you pick it up and see the water drain out.

I would replace it.

Old 03-09-15, 01:46 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 408 Votes on 364 Posts
As noted above it's often best to replace the wet insulation. How wet did the drywall get? how big/dark is the water stain? Mold shouldn't be an issue if it all gets dried out promptly. Generally if the drywall is still solid it's ok to just prime/seal the stain and repaint.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: