Framing in basement

Old 03-09-15, 07:47 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Framing in basement

New to the forum and new to finishing a basement. We just purchased our first home and the basement was all finished but one 29 foot long wall. I am using 2 inch foam board and traditional 2x4 framing everywhere except for maybe one place and this is my question. At the bottom of my stairs I only have 3 feet from stairs to block wall. I don't want that wall coming out 6 more inches because I wouldn't be able to move anything down there. What are my options i put up 1/2 inch foam board on that 8 foot of wall at the bottom of the stairs. Can u use 1x3 or 2x2 to frame that portion to conserve space?? thanks for listening

Old 03-09-15, 07:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 942 Votes on 860 Posts
When limited on space, one of the methods I will use is to cover the wall with 3/4" XPS foam horizontally, attach vertical 1x4's through the foam, then more 3/4" foam vertically between the 1x4.

By the time you put 1/2" Sheetrock on, it only takes away 2" of space.

Old 03-09-15, 07:54 PM
B
should i worry about doing all that drilling into my foundation wall?

Old 03-09-15, 07:57 PM
B
basically right now when I walk down my stairs and get to the bottom I have 3 feet to my wall. If I would do traditional 2x4 i would make that wall 6 inches closer to the bottom of the stairs. It would be very hard to get furniture moved down there if I made it that much tighter to go around that corner

Old 03-10-15, 06:09 AM
Group Moderator
Received 942 Votes on 860 Posts
Is it poured foundation or block foundation? You really don't need many fasteners at all... glue will do most of the fastening, and you only need a couple fasteners to hold everything into the glue.

Another way to frame a narrow basement wall is to use a 2x2 steel stud track, attach that track to the floor and ceiling, then place the studs flat inside the track.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: