Basement water

Old 03-15-15, 06:49 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Basement water

I have 2 holes at the bottom of the basement walls. One on each side. I've never seen anything like this and in talking with several people they don't understand it either. Was the block wall installed like that or did a previous owner install them?

There is no sump. The floor is sloped to a corner where there is an open drain. I can see a cast iron 90 roughly 8" down. The floor drains pretty good but the water runs across the middle of the slab.

What's my best option here? I've seen perimeter channels in other homes (a trench along the outside wall). However any searches for such come up with nothing. They all lead to french drains. Would it be possible to build a 3-4" "wall" to keep the water along the perimeter? Or would that invite more problems?

This really only occurs when the ground is really saturated, so 90% of the time it's dry. My concern would be a year with lots of precipitation.

Name:  IMAG1154.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  17.7 KBName:  IMAG1127.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  27.0 KB

Old 03-15-15, 07:36 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Someone was trying to drain out all the water that had leaked into block to relieve the hydro static pressure.
99% of water proofing a foundation should be done on the outside.
Gutters.
Grade sloping away from the foundation.
No mulch or flower beds forming ponds against the foundation.
Outside of the block should have been waterproofed before backfilling.

Old 03-15-15, 10:31 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Ugh.

As Joe said, it's time to start working outside with gutters, grading and downspout extensions getting the water away from the foundation in the first place.

Old 03-15-15, 02:13 PM
H
The driveway slopes down from the road. This is where the majority of the water comes from. The driveway is dirt/stone. How do I divert this? Current water is coming from snow pile melts. The other side of the house is yard sloped down from road and generally just has a trickle.

The yard is sloped and I have extended gutters.

Being that the water only enters in those 2 spots. No way of diverting inside to the hole?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: