Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Thoroseal over paint? What would happen? Is it ever ok to do?

Old 03-19-15, 11:03 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I gutted a room in my basement that had rotted out through years of water infiltration from a leaky block foundation. I exposed the bare foundation, patched large holes/cracks then finished it off with 2 coats of thoroseal. It came out great.

The rest of my basement walls had been painted with waterproof paint long before I bought the house and is starting to fail. The paint looks fine, no peeling but in the spring and during heavy rainfall, waters leaks in in various spots. It's not much water but enough to be a nuisance. There's a lot of noticeable efflorescence.

I really want to thoroseal the rest of my basement. I tried wire brushing/scraping the paint off but it bonded so well to the block its as if it's become part of the block itself.

I know everyone says not to do it but what would happen if I used thoroseal over paint? The blocks really absorbed the paint and I don't see if coming off without sandblasting it, which isn't an option.

Thanks in advance,

Aaron

Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-15, 11:11 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Whether it will work over a painted surface I don't know but if you're actually doing this because of water, you're working on the wrong side of the wall - you need to divert the water away from the foundation in the first place with gutters, grading and downspout extensions.

Old 03-19-15, 11:19 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 623 Votes on 576 Posts
You said it "everyone says not to do it"... there is a reason.

There is also a reason why simple paint on products are popular and it's not because they work. It's because it's cheap and easy compared to properly fixing the problem.

Old 03-19-15, 11:44 AM
A
My house sits on a really small hill so there's already sufficient grading. I only have problems when the water table's high in my area. The majority of the waters comes up through the floor. I patched the hole's in the floor and now I want to tackle the small leaks in the walls.

I don't have gutters on my house but I plan on installing some this summer. I'm not sure how much of a difference they'll make considering I only have problems when the water tables high.

Old 03-19-15, 11:44 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 318 Votes on 282 Posts
I've never used Thoroseal but generally those types of products are formulated to go over bare masonry and either won't adhere well over paint or won't be effective. As noted above, water intrusion is always best addressed on the outside!

Old 03-19-15, 12:35 PM
M
As noted above, water intrusion is always best addressed on the outside!
So, talk to your local congressman about enacting a law to lower the water table.

No, it (Thoroseal over paint) probably won't work. But it's probably worth the price of a gallon of paint to test a spot and find out. It isn't like you are going to hurt anything by trying.

Old 03-19-15, 09:28 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Sounds like a waste of perfectly good Thoroseal to me. The benefits of the product (that you're paying dearly for) can't work if they are applied to painted surfaces. A quick call to the factory or supplier technical reps will confirm that, and explain in some detail why you shouldn't expect it to work.

Old 03-30-15, 12:21 PM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
thoroseal's a good product but you've placed it in a situation where failure's almost guaranteed,,, absent managing the water issue 1st, all you're doing is building a ship's hull below the waterline,,, every time you stop wtr & leave it no place to freely ' run ', it just builds up & looks for another place to infiltrate.

4 rules of wtr:
1 - it runs downhill;
2 - it takes the path of least resistance;
3 - it seeks its own level; &
4 - it rushes to fill a void ( try making a hole in a tub full of wtr

impo, all 4 are applicable

Old 03-30-15, 02:03 PM
Thoroseal is not "paint product". It is totally different animal and not related to paint in any way except the brush used is close to a "paint brush, but bigger, heavier (when loaded) and coarser.

A bonding agent (Acryl 60) and misting in advance is good, but you never see a painter doing that.

Dick

Old 04-08-15, 05:32 AM
P
I had painted walls in my basement and removed all the paint with a bushing tool on a rotary hammer. It was tedious, but it worked well. I then added the Thoroseal to the bare block. Aside from one spot where the Thoroseal did not adhere to the block (likely from me not cleaning it sufficiently) the walls are sealed up tight.