replacing basement concrete floor

Old 04-03-15, 03:54 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
replacing basement concrete floor

I am just wondering how much it would be to replace concrete floor in basement. I just got a rough estimate of 30000 for 1000 sqft. This seems high to me. What are other people paying for this job??

Old 04-03-15, 04:13 PM
C
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You haven't given many details to make a judgement on.

Why are you removing it?

If you are talking about a very difficult access and a 6" or 8" thick floor maybe the amount is just high instead of ridiculously high. Last year I had 76 cu.yds. pumped into a crawl space and bull floated for about $ 22,000.00. No existing concrete had to be removed but a lot of leveling out had to be done prior to placing concrete. They also built in an open perimeter drain with several lateral runs as well.

Your job is a lot less than 76 yards but we don't know any of the job details.

Old 04-03-15, 06:24 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
All your going to get on any web site when it comes to pricing is a bunch of useless guesses.
Need to stay local and get some more prices.
No one can see the job or the access, know how much labor or the price of materials is in your area.
If the old floor is sinking or failing a pore over will also fail.

Old 04-03-15, 10:37 PM
B
House was built in 1921. Major heaving and cracking with existing floor. Floor is about 3-4" thick. Another 8 inches would have to be dug out for the gravel and concrete. 3 windows that open as well as an egress window. So they'd have to use a conveyor. Foundation has some bowing and cracks but is braced. I don't know if the foundation issues would cause problems with the floor removal? I just want to find out if $30000 is typical for the work I described.

Old 04-04-15, 09:35 AM
C
The lateral resistance of the foundation could certainly be dependent on how the footers and foundation were constructed.

I have been in houses with concrete foundations that did not even have a footer and did not have a concrete floor. The result is bowing of the wall and of course, cracking.

Again, as stated, there are going to be regional variations in how a job is perceived and priced. Although the 30k may indeed be high you have to weigh it against other quotes. You may even need to have a structural engineer take a look and give you a drawing if your local inspector needs to have a document prior to issuing a permit.

Is there a chance you and friends can remove the concrete and do some digging? I'm sure the price you got reflects a lot of hand labor and a risk factor for the unknown issues when undertaking a job such as this.

Old 04-05-15, 05:59 PM
B
Would I just rent a jackhammer and start demolition? Obviously I would have to mark all utilities and pipes and stay away from the foundation with the jackhammer. What other risk factors are associated with this type of job? I definitely don't want the walls caving in on me or cast iron pipes breaking.

Has anybody dug up their concrete basement floor (DIY) and lived to tell about it? Please share your experience and what issues that came up during the process.

Old 04-07-15, 08:56 AM
P
I just completed this job last week, a partial basement floor replacement. I used a sledge and rotary hammer to remove the VERY thin original 1930's floor from the problem areas. The 1-2" slab was poured directly on top of clay. Had to dig down 8", bucketing the clay out the basement. Installed an interior weeping tile system, and then hauled in 4 inches worth of 2A gravel, compacted for the base. I had the area completely prepped for the concrete before getting estimates. My total pour was only around 4 cu yds and I was charged $1100.

Old 04-09-15, 05:39 AM
S
either addressed @ length in different online forum OR you both have the same inquiry

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: