permanent posts in basement lifting up beam

Old 04-05-15, 08:44 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
permanent posts in basement lifting up beam

I had a foundation company tell me that my house was in great shape as far as any settling not being present. He said that the cracks in my walls were due to the fact that my basement needed a sump pump. Ive since dug a 24 inch hole for my pit to go into and havent ran into any water or wet dirt. So my question is do i need to dig down to something like 36 inches (read that permanent beams are in a 3'3'3' block that sits under the basement floor) to see if water is just pushing the blocks of concrete up. Where the posts are is where the floor cracking and the beam is definitely higher there too. Thanks

Old 04-05-15, 09:46 AM
C
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Where are you located? The cracking walls could be water related but there should be water entering through there if it is.

Are you in a frost prone area where ice can be working to heave the wall ?
You could also be dealing with expansive soils like clay, when they get wet they can exert forces that would crack a wall.

If you have dug down as far as you have and have not really seen water then perhaps you should have a sample of the soil analyzed for permeability, organic content, etc.. You could get information on where to get this done at a local Soil Conservation Service office.

Old 04-05-15, 10:50 AM
N
Sorry. The concrete floor is cracking. The walls are fine. The upstairs drywall is what is cracking from window corners and door corners because of the center of the house lifting up. Havent ever had any water in the basement. The dirt down at the bottom of my pit is alot of clay. I believe my house is supported by the outside walls and the floor poured after the walls were up since the fact it was about 4 inches thick and no rebar found. I live in central missouri

Old 04-05-15, 11:21 AM
W
Received 34 Votes on 31 Posts
House

I do not think the center of your house is rising. I think the perimeter of your house is settling.

Old 04-05-15, 11:57 AM
N
So would lowering the pole via turning the screw in portion down be a solution to get the beam level

Old 04-05-15, 03:57 PM
J
Received 102 Votes on 89 Posts
We still have no pictures.
No location, so your just going to get well meaning guesses.

Old 04-05-15, 05:19 PM
N
pics

i posted earlier i am in central missouri. i took a measurement with a level from the floor joice that is right on top of the pole and from it to the next joice 16" towards the outside wall there is a 1/4" drop. the wall in the picture is the one that seperates the garage from the basement. the sump pit is at 24 inches in the pic and nothing but dry hard dirt.

Attached Images       

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: