Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

$8,000 to encapsulate and Dehumidify 1200 sq ft???

Old 04-10-15, 04:58 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hello.
My father-in-law was quoted $8,000 to line a 1200 square foot crawl space with plastic and install a Mega Dry CS70 dehumidifier to keep the crawl space dry. There is a partial basement then the crawlspace.

The service was quoted by a National Extermination Chain during an annual inspection. Scare words like moisture in the footers and wood could cause the house to crumble in if you don't take care of it were used. This house has been standing for 50 years with no signs of structural integrity issues inside or out. The technician stated that he had a humidity reading of 20% but I don't know if he measured that in a stud or pulled it out of the air or made it up. Needless to say, my father-in-law was scared by the tactics and paid the money and I am hoping to find a way to cancel the contract he signed authorizing the work.

I personally think the price is absurd but have no standard fee to base that upon and was wondering what the ball park rate is. My father-in-law has very mild dementia and I really feel he was taken advantage of by this salesperson.

Thank you for any information you might be able to offer.
Robert

Old 04-10-15, 06:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,525 Votes on 1,408 Posts
Call the company immediately to cancel the contract.
Was there a deposit paid ?

8K sounds awfully expensive for what you need to have done but without seeing the job it can be kind of tough to estimate.

We always recommend you get more than one price so that you can see if they are in the same ballpark. The dehumidifier retails around $1000. So even with a hefty markup.... there is a lot of unexplained money un-accounted for here.

Old 04-10-15, 06:43 PM
R
Unfortunately they were paid in full and the work was performed in a span of 5 to 6 hours before I even knew about it. I happened to be returning home from fire training and saw a pickup truck in his driveway and inquired about it to my wife and was told what was going on. I know enough to know that price sounded ridiculous and so did suggestions of house collapse being possible but by the time i learned of it and went back to see what they were doing they had wrapped up and departed.

Payment has been stopped on the check and the contract says if you decide to cancel by the 15th you can return equipment in proper condition for a refund. That would be the ideal scenario, return the $5500 dehumidifier and eat the loss on the barrier and labor. A visit to the manager by my brother-in-law today led to the manager saying it cannot be returned even though it reads like that in the contract. I think it is time to get a lawyer to look this over.
thank you for verifying the incredible mark up. I saw a unit priced online for $950 plus shipping.

Pretty sketchy operation if you ask me.
Thank you for the input.
Robert

Old 04-10-15, 07:05 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
There are organizations like legal aide for the elderly that focus on contractors who extort excessive prices from people with diminished capacity. Contact your local law enforcement to see if they have other related complaints against this business. Once they know they are facing legal action and possible criminal charges they will usually make an offer to reduce the price.

We get this type of nonsense every fall when it is time to seal the driveways, huge overcharges for the elderly who can no longer make proper decisions. The law is on your side.

Bud
Just to add, not sure what your laws are in TN, but here we have a mandatory 3 day waiting period for door to door sales. There are also strict contract requirements that must have been followed.

Last edited by Bud9051; 04-10-15 at 07:07 PM. Reason: addition
Old 04-10-15, 09:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,525 Votes on 1,408 Posts
Good point Bud.

It would appear that the three day period is a federal law.

Cancel a Purchase Under the 3-Day Cooling Off Rule | USA.gov

Sorry to hear the job was already completed. Please let us know how you make out. Cases like this affect many people and others can learn from this thread.

Old 04-11-15, 07:01 AM
R
Thank you for the response. That is certainly some good info to have. I hope to be hitting this hard Monday with this new information. I will definitely keep you all posted. I hope it will be a good outcome but regardless I will post the conclusion. I hate threads with no update.

Thanks again.
Robert

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: