Drain Tile Installation

Old 04-12-15, 10:42 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Drain Tile Installation

Everything was going to plan. I was using an electric jack hammer to knock out 18 inches of concrete in preparation for a 4 inch along side footer drain tile (not on top of footing). I want to dig out the clay and replace with drainage rock. The picture below shows what I encountered at first, and this is what I expected to see. I still have concrete from floor that needs to be chipped off footing.
Name:  FootingPIC copy.jpg
Views: 2151
Size:  42.7 KB

Then something changed. It was like the footing stopped. The drain tile was moved to against the back wall and there is an extra small block. There is definitely concrete below, but it is not smooth and seems to extend the entire 18 inches from the wall. I am totally confused. I really want to dig down next to footing to get the level of the water down below my floor. See picture below.
Name:  NoFootingPIC copy.jpg
Views: 2247
Size:  44.6 KB

This is a 2 story cape cod house with part brick and part stone exterior, but the change in footing does not correspond to exterior type or load. Our soil is mostly clay.

Can anyone please explain why anyone would change footer type/depth?

Old 04-12-15, 02:13 PM
K
Im not sure i understand what the problem is. Is there no dirt under part of the footing?

Old 04-12-15, 03:04 PM
M
The problem is in the second picture. Not sure where the footing is located. Why would the footing design change?

Old 04-12-15, 03:15 PM
K
Usually the depth of the footing changes to accommodate the grade of the land. Does the outside grade slope down in that location?

Old 04-13-15, 06:14 AM
M
There is a very slight pitch toward the road. It is a mostly flat lot.

Old 04-13-15, 01:25 PM
K
There could be several reasons why the footing would step down, but ultimately it is unimportant for your drain tile installation. As long as there are no visable signs of movement in your wall, such as cracks or bows, I wouldn't worry about it.

The top of you new drain tile pipe should be at the same height as the bottom of your floor. Continue digging around your foundation until you are a little lower than that depth, put a layer of crushed rock in the bottom of the trench first, then your drain pipe, (with the holes down depending what type of pipe you are using), and then fill the remaineder of the trench with crushed rock.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: