What is this hole in my crawlspace?

Old 05-02-15, 10:57 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What is this hole in my crawlspace?

I wanted to put rigid foam on the walls in my crawlspace instead of the dirty R-11 floor blanket hanging there. Once I pulled back the insulation I found two holes at the bottom of the poured concrete wall. These are wood boards put in place at the time of it being poured kinda like a ramp. One is clean that heads towards the garage. The other on the outside wall has a lot of moisture. I haven't seen any indications of water otherwise. Why are these and what can I do about the wet one? I don't want to just cover it up with a vapor barrier.

I tried to attach pictures, hopefully they show up.

Thanks,
Chris

Name:  20150502_123558.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  30.9 KBName:  20150502_123543.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  40.5 KB

Old 05-03-15, 10:26 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,505 Votes on 1,393 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Your two pictures are visible.

I don't think those were installed or are there for a purpose.
Those look places that the poured concrete didn't get to.

Old 05-03-15, 10:31 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I agree with Pete. Seems to have been a pour with trash in the walls that didn't get cleaned out. I'd repair with either hydraulic cement or concrete patch. You aren't having leakage, are you??

Old 05-03-15, 11:15 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys, I have been getting emails for years but was not a member of the forum.

I agree they seem to serve no useful purpose, but they look intentional to me because they are on opposite walls of each other in the same placement. One small vertical board and a sloping one set on top of it. The hole is probably 4" tall by 8" in length and I can see it goes completely through.

I have moisture from the wood being in direct contact the dirt, no signs of standing water at all. I am leaning towards taking the wood out and patching it. There is a basement with a sump pit that is much lower so I don't think it would ever have a lot of water behind it.

With a hole this size any idea what kind of patch could I use?

Thanks,
Chris

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: