Turning Basement/Garage Into Room

Old 05-12-15, 06:58 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Turning Basement/Garage Into Room

Currently I'm renting a small house, the first floor is a 18' x 35' garage / open room. There is a lot of space being used for storage, so I want to move everything to the attic and make a room down there for my son. About 20' of it is taken up by the car, washer, drier, refrigerator, ect. That leaves me with a ~ 15' x 15' space.

Considering that this is an apartment, and I don't have much to spend, I can't put up drywall. I guess I'll have to put up a curtain, but I can't find any 18' poles to hang one. There is also no AC down there, so it can get pretty dang hot. There is only one window in that little area, but it's wierd. It opens up butterfly style as opposed to a normal sliding window. I don't think I can put a window unit there, and portables are $250+

So in a nutshell, I need some advice from a professionals / hobbyist. How could I divide the room and cool it? My budget is only about $350, absolute max $500.

Old 05-12-15, 07:51 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It's really not doable for a number, of reasons. The most important reason is that it's against code, highly illegal & dangerous. Even if that weren't so, you'll never be able to install AC & make it livable.

Old 05-13-15, 02:55 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
The biggest limiting factor is that it is a rental. You can't make any modification to someone else's property without severe chance of liability. Ask the owner or landlord to make the modification as an enhancement to his/her house. Offer sweat equity if you like.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: