High Water Table Causing Seepage

Old 05-17-15, 08:09 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
High Water Table Causing Seepage

Last summer we had a large amount of rain and sadly, the sump pump was unplugged. This let the water table under the house get very high and the pressure made a hairline crack in the slab, roughly 6' in length. After that, heavy rains have led to water pushing up through that crack. I've since chisled out and used hydralic cement to patch, but water is still seeping up in that area.

Couple questions:

1. Do I need to seal the patched area in any way? If so, what do you suggest?
2. The sump is on the other side of the house from where the crack occured. I'm guessing where the crack occured is at lower point than the sump. Would it make sense to put in a second pump at the location of the cracking?

Old 05-18-15, 04:00 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
I've always advocated for a second pump and it being dug deeper to catch the water before it can push on the floors and walls.

Ideally there is a gravel layer under that slab to help the sump pits drain a larger area and also a perimeter drain system to catch ground water and deliver it away from the house.

In addition, all run off from the roof and surrounding landscaping needs to have a path away from the house before it can soak into the soil.

Bud

Old 05-18-15, 07:13 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the response Bud. I plan on moving forward with that second pump, just needed a sanity check. There is a perimiter system that I see draining into the existing pump. We regraded and increased the downspout length when we moved in. I should have also noted that we live at the bottom of a rather large hill.

I believe one of the main issues is that the integrity of the slab has been compromised from that crack. We never had seepage issue until that crack occured. Is there anything I can do to firm that back up? Water still seeps in were the hydraulic cement and the original concrete meeting. Hope that makes sense.

Old 05-18-15, 08:21 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
We have a few concrete pros that may be able to help, HELP, HELP.
I have limited experience with sealing cracks, but in this day and age, I would assume there is a sealant that when properly applied will stop any water. Let's see what they suggest.

Pictures always help.

Bud

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: