Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Raised ranch:Caulk external home perimeter 2 prevent finished basement humidity?

Raised ranch:Caulk external home perimeter 2 prevent finished basement humidity?

Old 05-23-15, 12:21 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

hello,

Fairly new homeowner here. I'm looking to turn my finished basement into a man cave for movies and music and such. I live in a raised ranch.

I'm not crazy about having a humidifier run all the time as it's pretty loud and can drown out media sound.

My concrete back porch runs along side the lions share of the perimeter of my raised ranch basement (see pics). I'm thinking that every time it rains, the water pours down into the seam between my concrete slab and the base of my basement. If I filled this in with some kind of caulk, would that help to prevent humidity in the basement? My basement is finished already, but having all that water pool along the side of my basement surely isn't helping. Right?

Is is something that people do to help address basement humidity?

If so, are there any fundamental tips I should understand or follow?

Imgur
Imgur

Thanks very much, everyone!

Old 05-23-15, 01:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 939 Votes on 857 Posts
Caulking any joints between the concrete foundation and any adjoining concrete is a good idea, but no, it will not appreciably reduce your humidity. Basements are humid because the ground is moist and the concrete absorbs it and the only way for it to dry is to dry to the inside, so that is constantly happening 24/7 because the ground is always moist.

If you do caulk, clean the crack out with compressed air, use foam backer rod in any gaps, and use a grey polyurethane sealant, like Loctite PL S10. You can also get the same sealant in a self levelling compound, but you really need to fill wide, deep and irregular cracks partially with clean silica sand and backer rod or else the self levelling sealant will just sink down into the gaps.

Gutters and long downspouts that take water as far away from the house as possible will help somewhat too.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: