Old stone foundation

Old 05-25-15, 05:31 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Old stone foundation

Hi all. I'm new here.

I have an old house. Part of it has an addition with a block foundation and the other is a stone foundation.

I recently skim coated the block foundation and dry locked it. I have a little water issue on the old stone foundation. Part of the joints on the stone are failing and water is leaking through. The floor is concrete so no water issues there. I was looking to clean out the joints and Fill them in. Then I wanted to install metal lathe and skim coat the walls.

The reason for the lathe is the stone is uneven and I want to install metal cabinets and other space savers for all of my tools.

I also plan on putting a French drain on the outside.

My question is what type of mortar should I use for the joints and what type of cement for the metal lathe?

Thank you.

Old 05-25-15, 06:32 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You could use a base plaster without even needing a lath. But you obviously couldn't hang stuff on it. If that is your main goal I think it'd be easier to anchor wooden or metal studs to the wall (to the mortar) or to the ceiling and floor, and mount the stuff on them.

Old 05-26-15, 03:55 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 403 Votes on 359 Posts
I recently skim coated the block foundation and dry locked it.
On the outside or inside of the wall? If done on the interior it may be a short time fix Waterproofing is always best addressed on the exterior side!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: