Basement rebuild question

Old 06-12-15, 08:03 AM
Y
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Basement rebuild question

Hello,

Long story short, we purchased this house 3 years ago, it was built in '91. A few months ago I decided to cut a hole into the drywall In the basement to find out that insulation was inappropriate.

I have already removed everything from the concrete floor to the rim joists and noticed quite a bid of mold on parts of the drywall that were close to the floor.

We are in southern canada, our summers are very humid and winters can be cold as hell.

My plan for the rebuild was to have a layer of Delta-FL on top of the concrete slab, then adding 1.2 inch thick styrofoam board on top of that to give it an R5 insulation value. I would then frame the walls on top to make sure the concrete floor is completely sealed off from humidity.

The exterior walls will be built with 2x4s 16 inches on center, 1 inch away from the concrete and I will have a professional spray 3 to 4 inches of polyurethane spray foam.

My question is should I bother with the styrofoam board for the floor or am I wasting my money?

Any other comments/ideas are welcome

Thanks

Old 06-12-15, 10:55 AM
J
Received 102 Votes on 89 Posts
Only need sill seal under the bottom plate, it's foam that comes in a roll about 1/4 thick.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: