Water in basement coming from under baseplate

Old 06-12-15, 10:59 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water in basement coming from under baseplate

Hi all. Just joined this forum but have been browsing for quite a long time. Started my own remodel of unfinished basement and it has been going great. Framing, electrical, drywall, and everything else. I've accomplished a ton and I'm almost done.

Then the rain came. I've never had one drip of water on a wall or floor in my basement. Today I went downstairs to admire all my work, and there was water on the floor coming from the wall. not a large amount, all pooled in a little over 2'x4' area (a little over 2' on the wall and about 4 feet out). Just the ground was wet, not a deep puddle or anything, and the floor slopes down away from the wall so it makes sense the way it moved.

I searched threads here and elsewhere. I saw that you need to get to this problem ASAP because of mold, so as other threads said I cut out a good section of drywall to find the problem. The bottom plate is treated and was a little wet, but the drywall and the insulation were both dry. There was a little moisture behind the plate on the floor as it is about 1.5-2" from the wall, but it was almost dried (or just not as wet as the living area). It was not coming from the wall as the wall was dry.

I'm guessing it has to come from under that treated baseplate. I have attached a picture here to give a little more detail. I guess my questions are

1. Am I right to think this is from the baseplate or am I missing some key things?
2. If it is indeed water coming from under the baseplate, how can I address this?

I did look at my yard. There is no drain spout in this section, it is my front landscaping. There was a spot right near there about 1' both ways that seemed indented into the ground. I filled it with other rocks in the area, but I imagine I need some dirt in there as well. It just doesn't seem like that would be the problem as I've never had problems until I decided to anchor wood to the floor in that spot.

Thanks for any tips. Sorry for writing a book, just wanted to be as detailed as possible. Here's a photo:

Name:  water.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  33.4 KB

Old 06-12-15, 02:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! It is not from the base plate. It is from the wall or the joint of the wall and floor concrete.

You may do well to excavate the front and install a gravel bed and perf pipe then more stone, then dirt to help move the water (like a french drain) to the outer perimeters, away from that indentation. All water problems are best taken care of from the outside.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: