Bathroom ventilation

Old 06-12-15, 07:25 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bathroom ventilation

Hey everyone, first post of what I will assume is many for me. I had the same issue in the master bath of the house we just moved in to. I didn't like the idea of mold in the attic, so I just disconnected the fan for now and shower with the door open and window open (when applicable). I have attic access but don't trust myself on a ladder on top of the garage working on the gableend of attached house and subsequent second floor bathroom. Two questions:

1. Would you all suggest leaving the fan disconnected until it can be fixed over exhausting in to attic?
2. Can you install a gable bathroom vent with only interior attic access? Vinyl siding on the house.

Not sure if it helps in this application but climate wise I'm in upstate New York close to Syracuse.

Looking forward to learning and hopefully some day contributing.

Last edited by chandler; 06-13-15 at 04:58 AM. Reason: Moved to its own thread
Old 06-13-15, 05:01 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! I separated your post from the other thread. You'll get better exposure this way.

Installing a gable vent will require exterior access, but most of the work can be done from the inside. A vinyl siding accessory block will be needed and cutting of the siding will be necessary from the outside. The wood on the gable end and tracking of the hard pipe can be done from the attic. It may help posting pictures of the area on the outside of the house as well as a shot from inside the attic to show us what you have planned. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 06-13-15, 05:12 AM
J
Received 104 Votes on 91 Posts
It can also be run through the roof if this would make a shorter run.

Old 06-13-15, 06:48 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the help! Here's a picture of the gable end from the outside. My concern isn't with cutting the hole or putting the vent in but rather safely getting up there. Bathroom is the second floor window. Any downsides to a roof vent? I'll probably just hire someone to do the roof one then.Name:  image.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  51.3 KB

Old 06-13-15, 06:52 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
Although this is a DIY forum, there comes a time when you step outside that realm, and if you feel uncomfortable with heights, it would be best to let a pro come in and suggest/install the best system for your situation. Any further questions, please jump in.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: