interior drain tile -- odd situation

Old 06-19-15, 02:12 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
interior drain tile -- odd situation

Hi, everyone.

Before we purchased our house, the basement crawl space was dug out and a new CMU wall was built as shown in this drawing:

Name:  ScreenHunter_41 Jun. 19 15.02.jpg
Views: 1334
Size:  35.9 KB

As you can see, the footer that the CMU wall rests on protrudes out about 26" from the interior (3 feet in total length).

We have had some major rain recently and water has been seeping in to our basement. Several neighbors are having the same issues as well.

We are thinking about getting an interior drain tile system, but the pipe would have to be installed just below the edge of that 3 foot footer on the CMU wall. Do you guys think it would be worth it to pursue this or would we be wasting our time/money with a pipe that far from the wall?

Thanks!

Old 06-25-15, 10:24 AM
J
Sorry... looking at the pic I attached, it's a little difficult to read.

I highlighted what I'm referring to in this pic and where the drain tile would need to be placed with that large footer. Do you guys think having drain tile this far out would be beneficial in this case?

Name:  drain tile illustration.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  40.5 KB

Old 06-25-15, 11:11 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 894 Votes on 824 Posts
Most of the time water is best intercepted from the outside. Intercepting it 6' inside leaves all your wall and a good deal of floor unprotected so I doubt it would be worth the expense and trouble.

Old 06-25-15, 01:44 PM
J
Thanks, Pilot Dane. Sorry if I confused... the drain tile would be 3 feet in from the exterior wall, not 6 feet. In that case, could it possibly be worth it you think?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: