Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Self leveling concrete as a top layer- would epoxy be ok?

Old 06-22-15, 11:03 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hello, I am in the midst of fixing up my basement, and would like to level the floor with self-leveling concrete. I understand that you're not supposed to use it as a top layer, that it's meant to be covered with something else such as tile. My question is why and what would happen if I kept the SLC as the top layer? Would a coat of epoxy suffice as a top layer?

This is for a basement (maybe 300 square feet) and not such heavy foot traffic. I do get some moisture down there though, which I'll be addressing separately. However I think some moisture will always be a risk down there.

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Old 06-22-15, 11:17 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Where is the moisture coming from? If below, the epoxy would likely fail in short order.

Old 06-22-15, 02:02 PM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
SLC can be scraped away with a putty knife and or is easily chipped if hit with a hammer. Its main purpose is to level underlayment for a finished surface to be placed over it. It is not hard enough to be a wear layer. Also, don't be lured in by the "self leveling" gimmock, it still needs to be massaged and moved where it needs to go. It is messy to work with but sets up relatively quickly. You can very well end up with a wavy layer if you just pour and walk away. Bond surfaces also have to be primed first. But even larger than all this, it is really only practical for small areas. At $35 a bag plus $12 for primer, it gets expensive really fast. If you have a large area to do, look into floating a new pour over the entire basement. There are companies that will do it for you albeit at a price as well.

Regardless of your final solution, you need to address the water issue first. If it continuously gets wet, no surface you put down will last for very long.

Old 06-22-15, 02:27 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The water issues will be taken care of. It just happens when there's very heavy rain, and I'm going to be looking into having some waterproofing done on my back wall in the basement. That's where the water comes in, not from below. Partly it's that I have a clogged gutter that I need to clean out, but I also need that back wall looked at.

Would epoxy add strength to the SLC or would you still not recommend it? Would I be better with a "concrete restorer" instead?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: