Flooring for basement washing machines...

Old 07-02-15, 11:49 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Flooring for basement washing machines...

Hi folks...
This house was built in 1927 and has the standard utility basement with a concrete floor. Well it seems that over the years the floor beaneath the washing machines has become "worn" and wavy over the years with slight valleys. This really cdreates a pain when you try to level the machines after they have bounced from imbalanced loads. Either re-leveling the feet or finding the original spots.
I have tried pouring a new floor to level it using "self-leveling" (oximoron) concrete and floating it smooth. Well, that held up awhile but now back to square one with small valleys. What I was thinking of doing was a small layer of thinset and then putting something like wonderboard down as a base for the machines.
Anyone ever do this, and will the wonderboard hold up or does anyone know of a product simular to it that I can use?
Ant ideas /suggestions appreciated.

Old 07-02-15, 12:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Votes on 69 Posts
First are you trying to level a front loader? If you are forget level close is good. What you need is to have all 4 feet solid on floor. First make sure there are no wiggling of washer. Put about 4 towels in washer and get them wet, Put washer in spin and wait till it gets to high spin, take the easiest front leg and turn till it gets smooth, May take as little as a 1/2 turn. If it gets rough you are going wrong way with adjuster. Concrete is good for washer base.

Old 07-02-15, 01:55 PM
B
Hi Pugsi...

...thanks for your reply. I have been leveling these TOP loading washing machines using all four feet, but as Murphys law goes, it is always the rear feet that seem to be making the machine go out of balance when it dances. I have spun\leveled these machines on several occasions and each time locked the leveler feet in place so I am sure it is not them changing heights.
I was trying to make a FLAT concrete base as this is always the center machine of a three machine set-up that is the main culprit. We have a dryer, then washer, then another washer for my work/sport clothes (yard, equip, etc.)
This floor is also, as I posted, wavey with age so that is why I am trying for a flat surface.
So do you think the wonderboard(TM) may help?

Old 07-03-15, 04:03 AM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
You need what is called a housekeeping pad. Self-leveling compound is NOT for use as a finished surface and a bouncing washing machine will soon destroy it. Same for Wonderboard.

The housekeeping pad would be made from standard concrete mix, maybe add a higher percentage of Portland cement for strength. Frame up a form with 2x4s and be sure to "scarify" the surface of the existing concrete to allow the new concrete to properly bond to the old. Also use a bonding agent. Make sure to shim the form as necessary to ensure the top surface is level.

With a strong and level housekeeping pad you should have little trouble leveling the machine and keeping it level.

Google search: https://www.google.com/search?q=hous...utf-8&oe=utf-8

Old 07-03-15, 08:04 AM
B
Furd.....

.......Thanks for the reply. That is basically what I was trying to do with a few shortcuts (wonderboard + thinset) to get a quick and easy surface, but I guess I will have to go the concrete way.
The prefab gen pads that are available are a little more than I want to spend. Guess it's back to shims, and scrapped knuckles, till I get the ambition to move the machines and do the slab.

Old 07-03-15, 12:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Votes on 69 Posts
Post brand and model # of washer top loaders should not be dancing around like that. Floor wavy should not make a difference unless you have more than 1 inch difference. A wood floor that is soft would cause the problem.

Old 07-03-15, 12:42 PM
B
Pugsi...

.... it is a old GE DDE9200GAL. The machine is mounted on a concrete floor that has become pitted and worn with age (house built in 1927). It usually only "dances" when the load becomes unbalanced while spinning or if say a bathmat is being washed alone. Doesn't move feet awat but sometimes a inch or two but when that happens it will be on a different part of the surface and not in full weighted contact with that surface. A pain as I can never seem to really match it with the spot of origin where it was sturdy. A flat surface would go a long way to the agony of re-adjusting the feet after moving it back.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: