How to insulate interior soffit/dropped ceiling

Old 07-06-15, 11:57 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to insulate interior soffit/dropped ceiling

I have a interior soffit above my kitchen sink. It is arched over the window. The arch spans 40" that drops from 8" to 16" with a 16"x 30" cavity on either side. Open into the attic. Electric box for a light at top of arch.

Thinking of spraying foam over box to seal it then filling the whole soffit with loose insulation up to attic floor where it will be covered with R-30 along with the rest of the attic.

Is there any problems doing it this way or maybe a better option? THANKS

Old 07-06-15, 12:27 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Often times a soffit above the kitchen cabinets will be mounted to the studs with no drywall covering those studs to act as an air barrier. Plus, those stud bays may be open below the sink where the plumbing comes in. Your objective should be to one: air seal to prevent any house or basement from reaching the attic. A piece of plywood cut to fit and caulked over the top is an example, but any rigid material that can be sealed will do.

As for the spray foam, once the top of that area is sealed and the entire soffit is blocked off so it doesn't pass air in any direction, then whatever insulation you choose should be fine.

Bud

Old 07-06-15, 12:42 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The soffit above the cabinets is drywalled and painted. There actually is a 1" gap between the cabinets and the soffit. Don't know why it looks goofy. I plan to raise the cabinets up to the soffit. Stud bays may be open with sink and dishwasher below so I guess I should insulate and cover it. Thanks Bud!

Old 07-06-15, 01:56 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: