Basement Floor - Fixup Ideas

Old 07-07-15, 01:16 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Basement Floor - Fixup Ideas

I have a half basement that is finished, and the other half is unfinished.
The unfinished side use to have asbestos tile on the floor that was becoming friable. We removed the tile and we were left with the leftover 50 year old Black Mastic.

I used Soy Bean E doo and a degreaser which worked okay. The floor is now a mixture of cement slab and left over black mastic. The floor is not even. However the floor is fine on the finished side of the basement.

What are some recommendations to fix this issue on the basement floor on the unfinished side?

Old 07-07-15, 01:44 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
What do you plan on doing with the space? If you plan on any floor covering except carpet, I would determine high and low spots and level the floor with self leveling compound, apply tile and enjoy. Just how "uneven" is it?

Old 07-07-15, 01:53 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
That side of the basement includes the wash machine and dryer. Also the boiler room furnace. I would like to use the space as a nicer laundry room for clothes, and to put some storage in there for boxes etc. Maybe a work table as well for some in home projects.

To apply self leveling compound... Don't I need to pour that over the entire floor? I don't think it is TERRIBLY uneven, but it is enough to notice.

Old 07-07-15, 02:06 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
How large a room is it? If you could find a long straight board and lay it on edge across the room, you could determine how out of spec it would be. Tile and thinset are fairly forgiving, but you don't want to push the envelope too much. Pictures would be great, also if you can. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 07-12-15, 12:41 PM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
i've watch this process done many times but never had any personal luck w/slc other than calling in a pro - however, i understand mapei's got a preblended product out which seems to be working well,,, IF there's anything on the floor to prevent bonding, nothing will work acceptable imo

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: