Basement interior door to Bilco entrance

Old 07-22-15, 06:38 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Basement interior door to Bilco entrance

Hey Everyone, just moved into a new home a couple of weeks ago. There is a full basement that has an exterior entrance with stairs and set of bilco doors. I wanted to add a regular door to the opening to the stairs (it is a regular sized opening for a door), wondering if there is anything special I need to take into consideration with framing, door type etc considering the application. The bilco doors are in good shape and I dont see any water when it rains, just hate the look of the stairway and I am concerned during the winter the bilco doors will be terrible inefficient. Basement is not finished...yet, thats a couple of years down the road. Thanks!

Old 07-22-15, 06:50 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Keep in mind that the Bilco doors are much better when you have to move large things in & out of the house. I wouldn't replace them just for insulation reasons.

As for other concerns, you mentioned rain. You would probably need a dry well & maybe an awning.

Old 07-22-15, 07:00 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Are you adding another door or planning to remove the bilco doors when the new door is finished?

Old 07-22-15, 07:32 AM
D
Adding another door. The Bilco doors will remain.

Old 07-23-15, 05:05 AM
D
I'm guessing a regular exterior steel door will do? No fire door necessary? Anything specific with framing the door?

Old 07-23-15, 07:20 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
A lot depends on the construction where you intend to install the door? will you be opening up a foundation wall or is that portion wood framed?
pics could be helpful - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 09-16-15, 05:49 AM
D
OK, bringing this back as I finally have some time to devote to this project. So attached is a picture of the outside entrance to my basement. There are bilco doors on the outside, but they seal very poorly and the concern is obviously efficiency and rodents. I want to add an entry door, fiberglass or steel, for added protection. The rough opening is 43" wide by 83" tall. Hard to find a door that size, and I'm not sure if a frame needs to be built being that it will be retrofitted directly to the cement. Thanks for the guidance!

Attached Images  
Old 09-16-15, 08:55 AM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
When I did mine (similar to yours except my stairs were farther from the opening) I just boxed in the opening (except the floor) with 2x12s (pressure treated) fastened to the concrete with tapcon concrete screws. At that point, since the whole point of putting in the Bilco was to make it easy to get things in and out of the basement shop, I ordered a metal exterior prehung door for a 40" rough opening. I ordered it without brick mold because I knew I would have to extend the jambs because of the wide wall. I mounted the door in the usual way, then extended the exterior jamb with poplar to the edge of the rough opening. I added some PVC trim, nothing fancy, painted it up, and from the inside you can't tell it from any other exterior door. I did put some rubber flashing under the sill which just sits on the slab.

Now, your stairs extend into the wall opening, which mine did not. It's hard to tell if there is room for a door while still keeping the inside flush with wall. If not, then you may have to inset the door a bit into the room. Not a big deal, just offset the pressure treated stock so it extends into the room a little. You can fasten 2x4 stock flat against the wall to provide extra support. You will have to trim the rough jambs to fit around the stair stringers. Good luck, and I think you will find adding the real door makes a huge improvement.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: