Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

underlayment to put non treated lumber on basement floor?

Old 10-19-15, 08:36 PM
G
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

putting in a small platform in basement, instead of using all PT lumber, can I put a type of plastic down first and then put regular Douglas fur over that? I can cap the bottoms of the Douglas fur with metal framing metal and it might be cheaper than using all PT, plus who wants to breathe in PT lumber in a basement? I will use angle brackets and anchor the platform into the concrete floor and caulk/sealant over the heads if I can put an underlayment down first and use no treated lumber, thanks.

Old 10-19-15, 08:42 PM
J
Received 125 Likes on 110 Posts
Pressure treated has no smell.
Steel in direct contact with concrete is going to rust out.
If it's just a small platform I'm missing the issue why you do not want to do it right.
Only part that needs to be pressure treated is the joist.

Old 10-20-15, 07:16 AM
G
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Joe not everyone likes to bring poisons into their home, and might seek an alternative.

Old 10-20-15, 09:32 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,177 Likes on 1,135 Posts
What's the bigger poison - PT lumber or plastic?

I vote for using PT on the portions which will contact the concrete - it's the right product for the job and there's a lot of PT in the same place in the walls already.

Old 10-20-15, 11:05 AM
G
I have finished many many basements where steel framing was used as the footer/sill plate for wood studs and that meets code every time so it's not going to rot out. I believe it's zinc or galvanized. As he said, there might not be a smell to PT (even though there is) but it is soaked in poisons (so bugs don't eat it and water can't damage etc). I wouldn't put it in a basement, for a deck it's not so bad. They were even using arsenic in PT until like 2004 but the new stuff isn't as bad, or is it? I doubt plastic (if it's an alternative which I'm asking) is worse than PT. Plus the cost of plain wood is so cheap compared to PT.

maybe there's a type of paint I could use? drylock meets code? I know this means more chemicals but PT and the cost of it is last resort.

Old 11-28-15, 03:32 PM
G
Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  21.1 KB

I think I'm just going to do something like this. The platform is about 8 feet by 6 feet. I will lay two or three 2x4s on the ground either pressure treated (PT) or regular pine with 2x4 metal track under them. More than likely I'll use the metal instead of the PT. Then use those as sort of girders/beams to keep the 2x8 untreated pine off the cement. Any other ideas like plastics that would work for this? I read about sill gaskets but I think it still has to be used with PT.

Old 11-28-15, 04:14 PM
G
DIY Home Theater Project - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

this person put plastic down. I didn't read any of it though, I just Ctrl+ f to find the word 'plastic' in the thread in case anyone mentioned it but it wasn't. I'm not sure what the heck this person did for half of this build, I didn't really look at it. I think they might have gone way overboard but I do think apparently they confirmed that certain types of plastics are okay to put down on cement basement floor and then use non treated on them. But then every basement that gets finished, I would think people would opt to save on using metal track or pressure treated and just put plastic strips under the sills/footers. anyway.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: