Finishing an Interior Basement wall

Old 10-29-15, 11:05 PM
G
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finishing an Interior Basement wall

Hi folks!!

Trying to figure out what to do with two interior basement walls (west and south walls of a room, other two walls are block below grade, have foamboard, etc. ).

Is it necessary to have sheetrock (drywall) on both sides of the inside walls? Concerned about covering all insulation with drywall for fireproofing.

Planning on installing R-13 insulation between the frame studs, and was thinking on installing drywall on the side of the wall that faces the room, and then using paneling on the side that faces the rest of the basement.

Would appreciate some thoughts as to whether this would be a good approach.

Thanks much for your help!!

Old 10-30-15, 07:08 AM
B
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Pressure treated wood in contact with any concrete with approved screws and nails for anything attached to it. No restrictions that I'm aware of for interior walls, although I do like to have any fiberglass insulation enclosed on all sides.

Otherwise sounds good. If any problems I have not mentioned the pros are always reading and will comment.

Bud

Old 10-30-15, 08:01 AM
G
Thanks much for your help. Bud!

The two walls in question are not in contact with cement, only the North and East walls are.

So, if I understand correctly, "...do like to have any fiberglass insulation enclosed on all sides", this can be enclosed on one side with drywall, and, the other side with paneling?

Old 10-30-15, 09:29 AM
B
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
"this can be enclosed on one side with drywall, and, the other side with paneling?
Correct.
And the bottom of the wall usually sits on the basement floor, thus pressure treated.

If you use drywall, keep it up off the floor at least 1/2".

Bud

Old 10-30-15, 10:00 PM
G
Thanks again!!

Got some hardboard paneling today.

Plan to keep it and the drywall up off the floor at least 1/2". Perhaps a vinyl baseboard molding will finish things off. No moisture worries with it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: