Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Suggestions on a cheap and easy basement ceiling? Doesn't have to be pretty

Old 10-30-15, 06:26 AM
I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all,

I've got a combo basement / crawlspace that needs a little cosmetic work. It's only for storage and laundry, so it doesn't need to be nice. But currently, it's just a mess with insulation hanging down, haphazard pipe and duct supports, etc.

Over the crawlspace portion, like to just clean it up and make it nice and neat. Maybe just batt insulation stapled paper-side down?

And over the basement portion, something more "finished." But also something that doesn't lower the ceiling by much, if at all. Something white hopefully.

Any ideas?

Name:  20150625_172511168_iOS.jpg
Views: 738
Size:  43.2 KB

Name:  20151030_115043777_iOS.jpg
Views: 692
Size:  32.0 KB

Old 10-30-15, 07:03 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Why not use vinyl sheets? Easy and cheap. Will look good if you install correctly.

Old 10-30-15, 07:03 AM
J
Received 125 Likes on 110 Posts
Going to make some guesses about this house, let me know how close I get on some of them.
That house is old enough to had had copper or old steel supply lines and they have been replaced with Pex.
No vapor barrier on the floor, Rim joist and walls of the foundation have no insulation, looks like they may have used duct tape on the ducts instead of foil tape.
Pipes may have froze at one point and or someone thought closing up the vents would make the crawl space warmer.
What's happened is now the moisture content in that area is to high, that's why the insulation looks like that.
That hanging wiring can be rerouted or replaced.
Faced insulation needs the vapor barrier toward the conditioned surface.

Old 10-30-15, 07:26 AM
I
Airman - Hmmm - that sounds good. I imagine I'd find such a thing with vinyl siding?

Old 10-30-15, 07:36 AM
I
Joecaption - It was built in the 50s. I'd say you're right on most counts. I'd guess the water lines used to be either copper or galvanized. Not sure about the vapor barrier that may or may not be between the wood flooring and subfloor.

There used to be a ceiling over the entire space (as evidenced by all the nails and remnants of particle board). My first guess as to why it was removed was because of some kind of water damage all over the house, but I don't see evidence of that.

The moisture content is likely under control, because I (and the previous owners) run a dehumidifier in the space. Everything is dry and without signs of mold.

Thanks for the tip on the insulation. I guess that's why they installed it paper-up. Maybe that also means there's no other vapor barrier.

Old 10-30-15, 07:49 AM
J
Received 125 Likes on 110 Posts
Dirt floor? If so that where the vapor barrier should have been, not under the finished floors.

Old 10-30-15, 08:59 AM
Vinyl wall covering. Like you see in restaurant bathrooms and in the kitchen like 1/6 inch thick. You do need a VB on the ground and up the walls to at least ground level. Faced insulation would be the best choice for any basement or crawlspace.

Old 10-30-15, 09:11 AM
Just saw they installed the insulation backwards. Thats crazy. The paper helps hold it in place

Old 10-30-15, 02:19 PM
I
Airman - thanks! I think I know what you mean. Those washable wall panels.

Is the insulation backwards? I thought that maybe because of what Joecaption said, it had to be done that way (the basement isn't climate-controlled) even though it looks a lot worse than the other way around.

Old 10-30-15, 02:26 PM
I
Joecaption - partly dirt, part concrete slab. Actually, part of my updates down there is to get a radon contractor in there. They'll be covering up all the dirt with a membrane as part of their work.

Old 10-30-15, 02:42 PM
In a crawlspace the VB should always be on the ground. Looks like your radon guy is doing this. Paper backed insulation is not a true VB. so it really isnt right or wrong. You just cant use the paper edges to staple it in place.

Old 10-30-15, 03:51 PM
I
Airman - thanks! That's what I wanted to hear

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: