Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Looking of alternative for putting a footing under a basement post

Old 11-04-15, 07:17 PM
B
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I need to put some posts in my basement to support point loads from an attic that is being developed into living space above. The concrete floor is already in place and I don't want to have to cut out holes in it to install footings for the posts. Instead, would it be possible to just put the posts on a large slab or sheet of thick steel instead screwed into the concrete?
Thanks!

Old 11-04-15, 07:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Not really. Your concrete is probably only 4" thick, offering little vertical support before failing. Cutting the holes is not an astronomical problem.

Old 11-04-15, 07:59 PM
B
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, the concrete is only that thick, but it's an old house and there are lots of rocks mixed in with the cement making it hard to make a clear cut hole. I just thought a 12" by 12" by 1" thick piece of metal (or bigger even) would be easier and look better. The metal would distribute the point load over a much larger area. Does anyone know if this is legitimate?
Thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: