Efflorescence question

Old 11-12-15, 08:28 PM
X
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Efflorescence question

I want to finish one of the walls in my basement that looks like it was drylok'ed or something along those lines. There is a small area of that wall that has some efflorescence on it and it caused the drylok (or whatever it is) to bubble up. So I scraped away a bunch of it and will clean it up a bit more.

So my current plan is to use those insofast panels but I want to make sure I don't create something that will lead to issues down the road. So my question is, if I scrape enough of the loose stuff off, could I put some Drylok extreme on it and then put the insofast panels over the top of it? My thought is that if I do that it should decrease the chance of efflorescence wanting to form there again since the humidity shouldn't affect it nearly as much.

I am not really sure why it is just that one area for the efflorescence but unfortunately there is no way for me to do anything on the exterior because of a ground level deck that is there.

Here is a picture of the area (the picture uploaded sideways, but you get the idea):
Name:  IMG_1087 (Large).jpg
Views: 407
Size:  14.8 KB

Old 11-12-15, 09:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,174 Likes on 2,850 Posts
Efflorescence is caused from moisture leaking thru the foundation. The white color is from salts and minerals in the earth that are carried in by the moisture.

There is probably water pooling under your deck and traveling down thru the foundation.

Covering over that area will just trap the moisture in that area.

Old 11-12-15, 09:12 PM
X
I thought it would be the humidity on the inside that would "activate" the salts so to speak to create the efflorescence.

Anyway, I am not so sure it is possible for water to really pool under the deck since it is literally built pretty much on the ground. And the deck is as wide as that whole wall which is 17 feet so it would be strange for it to occur in that one small spot.

Old 11-13-15, 05:06 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 702 Likes on 619 Posts
I've never heard of efflorescence being caused by air borne humidity. It's always from moisture passing thru the masonry. Do your downspouts carry the rain water away from the house? There is still room for water to collect under a low deck, in fact being low means less air circulation to dry it out.

Water can collect all along the foundation but only find one weak spot in the sealer to enter in.

Old 11-13-15, 08:28 AM
X
Yes the downspouts are run away from the house (and are pretty far from the area). I have attached two pictures to try and give a better idea of the outside of the house. In the first picture I put a red box for the wall in the basement (it is on the long part of the wall, so where the umbrella is) where the efflorescence is and then the second picture is to try and give a better idea on what I mean by the deck is on the ground.

Old 11-13-15, 08:38 AM
T
Just an observation, that corner does not have a gutter above it. Is it possible water is running along that fascia and dripping off the point at the bottom of the radius?

Old 11-13-15, 09:11 AM
X
I guess it is possible, but I think it usually stays pretty dry around that corner on the deck. I could try and look at the next time it rains.

If I clean it up, would some Drylok Extreme do the job for a while?

Last edited by xceebeex; 11-13-15 at 12:07 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: