Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Removal of ceiling joists to vault ceiling on 3rd floor

Old 11-13-15, 12:35 PM
A
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am converting my 3rd floor to an unvented space with spray foam under roof and cathedral ceilings. The plan is to leave collar ties exposed. There are a total of 20 ceiling joists, one at every rafter. 6 of them are 2x8's and the remainder are 2x4's. 3 of the 2x4's were at some point removed to install large furnace in attic space. My question is can all of the 2x4's be removed leaving only the 2x8's? A contractor that did some structural work on our 1st floor when we first bought the house indicated that the 2x4's were merely framing for plaster ceiling and that the 2x8's were the structural components of the roof. Everything I have read about this seems to indicate the 2x8's would need to be doubled up in this case, and bolted through. The 2x8's are currently nailed to rafters with 16d's. This is a 120 year old solid brick house, it has a hip roof with 6 hipped dormers. I have attached photos. Name:  ceiling joists.jpg
Views: 834
Size:  48.0 KBName:  ceiling joists.jpg
Views: 834
Size:  48.0 KBName:  IMG_5644.jpg
Views: 1027
Size:  33.4 KBName:  IMG_5645.jpg
Views: 2631
Size:  42.6 KB

Old 11-13-15, 03:49 PM
J
Received 125 Likes on 110 Posts
Going to need a real engineer on site to look this over for this one.
No way would I be excepting well meaning guesses from and one on any web site for this one.
Keep in mind cathedral ceilings look cool but are a huge waste of energy.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: