unknown pipe in crawl space leaking water

Old 11-19-15, 03:00 PM
R
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
unknown pipe in crawl space leaking water

Today I was cleaning debris from the crawl space in preparation to lay down a new vapor barrier. The old one does not cover the dirt completely and has many holes.

While in the crawl space today I noticed a pvc pipe dripping water slowly but constantly into the crawlspace floor (It just rained today). I am not sure what the purpose of this pipe is, except it is doing a good job bringing water into the crawlspace.

On the end of the pipe I noticed there is some kind of rubber that looks like it was used to try and plug the pipe. Also noticed it looks like the pipe was cut at that point.

The other side of this wall is just an elevated area on the outside of the house (see picture).

Any ideas on what the purpose of this pipe could be? I was thinking to try and extend this pipe through a trench and out the back of the crawl space or try to plug it up more successfully. Appreciate any suggestions. We have been living in this house for about half a year.
Name:  DSC04103.jpg
Views: 2484
Size:  50.0 KBName:  DSC04104.jpg
Views: 1551
Size:  37.5 KBName:  DSC04105.jpg
Views: 897
Size:  47.0 KB

Old 11-19-15, 03:12 PM
J
Received 125 Likes on 110 Posts
Needs to be addressed on the outside not the inside.
Sure looks like the outside of that foundation was never water sealed by the looks of all that moisture on the inside.
No slope away from the foundation, mulch piled up against it, no gutters or there plugged up, can all cause issues.
What's up with that funky pipe repair with three different types of pipe?
Seeing that gap in that foundation vent makes me think it may have froze at one point and burst.
That old gray Quest pipe should have been replaced long ago.
There was a huge class action suite long ago because of all the leaks.

Old 11-19-15, 03:14 PM
T
Is it grey? looks like electrical conduit. Can you glue a cap on it?

Old 11-19-15, 03:37 PM
W
Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts
Pipe

The top photo looks like an abandoned sewer pipe.

Was the house previously on a septic tank but now on municipal sewer?

Old 11-19-15, 03:41 PM
R
Thanks for the reply's.

It is grey, not sure if it is conduit but if it was I do not know what it would have been going to.

Is sealing the foundation something I can do, or is it too late? The house does not have gutters, but most of the ground around the house is slopped away from the foundation. As for the leaves, I just need to rake them away, but there is no mulch around the house, just some leaves left from Fall.

Overall the crawl space is not very wet, although it is humid which is why I was going to take out the vapor barrier in there and replace it - but obviously I do not want water leaking directly in from a pipe.

I am not sure about the pipe repair..I believe that pipe goes to an outside hose spigot. This house was built in 1993, so I think it was built with the quest pipe. I would have to check, but I think there is still a lot of that pipe down there along with some PEX pipe.

Old 11-19-15, 03:52 PM
R
Hi Wirepuller38, that is a good point - but the pipe is rather small, are there sewer pipes this size (maybe 1 inch diameter)?

I still do not fully understand what happened in this neighborhood with the sewer but from what I understand the house has two tanks, one solids and one liquids - the liquids flow from the solids tank to the liquids tank. Originally neither were connected to the city sewer. However, years back the leech field had some problem and could no longer be used and everyone in the neighborhood had to pay $10k to get the connection to the city sewer. Now the liquids are pumped up to city sewer and solids need to be taken out just as a septic tank fills. Sorry if any of this does not make sense, I still need to learn more about how that system works.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: