Leveling basement surface for bench top

Old 11-23-15, 10:32 PM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leveling basement surface for bench top

Hi, first time posting, I recently moved into a new house and I'm setting up a shop area in the basement. It's somewhat small and, in my opinion, poorly-arranged. I've got no real space for a work bench, and I thought of using the basement wall itself. We have a Michigan basement, and I thought I could use some of the elevated surface coming off the wall, set a good top on it and use it for a working surface.

Before I put a bench top surface down, though, what would be an ideal way to level it? A friend suggested a skim coat of Portland Cement might level the surface well enough.

Old 11-24-15, 04:39 AM
Super Moderator
Received 65 Likes on 60 Posts
Smile Welcome to our forums!

Sorry to say that not everyone knows what a "Michigan basement" is.
You might want to offer a detailed description of what it is?

If it's like what a search engine describes you would need to have support near the front edge which needs solid support.
Most benches have a vice or see a lot of downward pressure that would benefit from legs extending to the floor.

Old 11-24-15, 05:11 AM
J
Received 125 Likes on 110 Posts
A picture would be even more helpful so we can see what your seeing.

Old 11-24-15, 09:21 AM
S
I realize now that the expression "Michigan basement" is a bit of a regional thing...

Old 11-24-15, 09:26 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,574 Likes on 1,411 Posts
You can also support a bench from above, or from the wall with gussets. Doesn't necessarily need legs.

Old 11-24-15, 09:38 AM
S
Here's a picture:

http://i.imgur.com/YyMNicY.jpg

My friend described it as a "dug out crawlspace. Given how far it sticks out, I could have a 2' deep surface and that would leave a "lip" large enough to mount things like a vise.

The surface I used for my last bench was two 3/4" pieces of plywood impregnated with epoxy, with a hardboard surface that could be easily changed. I loved it and it suited my purpose great.

This area of the basement is the perfect height, I just want to have it somewhat level before I anchor my surface.

Old 11-24-15, 10:48 AM
T
I think cement will crack and flake off from pounding and vibration. If it's not outrageously off level, I would run several lines of construction adhesive that stays pliable when dry, shim it level and let it dry completely before fastening it down.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: