slight slope on house - general questions

Old 12-12-15, 04:31 PM
N
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
slight slope on house - general questions

Hi,
I just bought a house (colonial, built 1928) for fixing up. It needs quite a bit of work. There is a slight lean to the house (maybe a 2" drop over the length of the living room, but I haven't checked - may be less. Its not only the floors but the whole building. It's noticeable but not markedly so). When I had it inspected I was told the there were no cracks in the foundation and it was intact and all basement joist were good. The are no voids, cracks in the plaster (the plaster finish is textured and there are no visible repairs). I was told it was due to settling.

I am wondering how to deal with this. I could just do nothing but I want to do a decent job. I will probably rip out the plaster and lath and replace with drywall which I can get plumb. Also level off the floors. Any suggestions?

Old 12-12-15, 04:48 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Why would you want to remove all the plaster, if it's in good shape? It sounds like a lot of work & little benefit.

Old 12-12-15, 04:58 PM
N
Good point. That was a friends suggestion. Come to think of it probably no point in doing it.

Old 12-12-15, 05:05 PM
J
Received 125 Likes on 110 Posts
A realitor suggested inspector?
If it's really 2" that's a whole lot of "settling".
That much should have cracked the plaster.
Really need someone that knows what there looking at to come look this one over.
A simple self leveling lazor level check or even a 6' level would tell just how far out things are.
That old a house it's almost always under sized footings, or even no footings, over spanned, under sized, over spaced, insect or fungus damaged joist.

Old 12-12-15, 05:54 PM
B
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
I absolutely agree with Joe. You can't plumb walls and level floors if the house is tipped that much. Besides, it isn't that big of a job to have a crew lift the house a bit and level it. But you need a real inspection from the right person and a professional opinion.

I just have a mental image of working on a house that is tipping 3 or 4 degrees. Speed bumps everywhere as one room meets another. A wall papering nightmare. If you are going to do this, start of right.

Bud

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: