Cold storage room with dirt floor

Old 12-14-15, 06:23 PM
T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cold storage room with dirt floor

I have a cold storage room in my basement that has a dirt floor about 2'x8' on one side. From what I've been reading this is to retain moisture. I have no need for a cold storage, the dirt is full of nails and assorted bits of junk from ages past and the wooden frame of the room is partially rotten where it contacts the dirt.

the issue being the posts for the room extend below the rest of the basement floor, which is concrete, so I may have to rip out the whole frame to fill it in. So first off, does anyone know if there's any reason I can't dig out the dirt and fill it in with concrete? Second, should I just chalk the room up as a loss and pull it out altogether or does it make sense to remove the bits of post below the floor line, support them, and pour concrete underneath?

Old 12-15-15, 07:44 AM
B
Received 208 Likes on 184 Posts
If the posts are within 2 feet of an outer wall, they are not load bearing and can be removed along with the wall. Remove the remaining dirt down to the level of the existing concrete. Don't disturb the soil below this. To prevent the new concrete from moving relative to the old concrete , dig a trench 6 " wide (3" under the old concrete, 3" into the dirt area) x 2 inches lower than the existing concrete. This will key the new concrete to the old on 2 sides.. Good luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: