Basement upgrade questions

Old 12-17-15, 09:26 AM
N
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Basement upgrade questions

I am refinishing my basement this winter, raised ranch. I currently have an Interior French drain being installed first week in January.

With that being said, what type of insulation should I do? Rigid foam boards adhered to the walls? normal fiberglass batts? What about vapor barrier, I've been told to use it and not to use it? I can tuck the plastic into the french drain if so.

My plans... Paint the entire ceiling black leaving it exposed, polish concrete for floors. Then frame/ insulate/ board the walls. I will eventually put a bathroom down there with an ejector pump but not this year.

I live in New England if that matters.

Old 12-17-15, 09:55 AM
B
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
The link below is a good starting point. All moisture problems need to be addressed from the outside first. An interior French Drain is a last resort and needing one is not a good indication of a basement ready to be finished. Sorry, I hate basements as they never were intended to become dry living space. How many time have you encountered ot heard someone mention "that musty smell" in reference to a basement. That musty smell is not good and extremely difficult to avoid other than right from the start of construction.
Bud

Understanding Basements | Building Science Corporation

Old 12-17-15, 10:02 AM
N
My basement hasn't had a musty smell since I've lived in it and with was partially finished, I thus ripped everything down and will be starting fresh. I don't get water often, the main reason I am installing it is for the raising water table during EXTREME situations. Even with these extreme occasions, I would still only get a little puddle.

I had thought about this for a long time and am spending the money for piece of mind. I will check that article out, thank you!

Old 12-17-15, 10:25 AM
N
I answered my own questions, I will foam board the walls that are being drywalled and paint the walls that are bare.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: