Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Basement semi rigid yellow wall insulation identification help/seal it

Basement semi rigid yellow wall insulation identification help/seal it

Old 01-01-16, 04:48 AM
P
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Basement semi rigid yellow wall insulation identification help/seal it

Images here insulationinthebasement

Several hundred projects but this one needs to be done too.

I believe this insulation is shedding fibers. You can see how it's been dinged and gouged in places. House was built in 1971, and insulation runs all the way around the top half of the basement. There is a pattern that repeats over the surface, and it feels a semi hard when pushing on it. I would like to get it covered with something, preferably easy to install, in order to limit the amount of fiber coming into the area. While I do not spend a lot of time in the basement, I do need to work there.

Seen a couple places where bare copper pipe is run against the wall, glue residue still present in a zigzag pattern. There does not appear to be any metallic film attached to it, just yellow fibers. I can't figure out from Google what a rigid fiberglass insulation this might be in these sized panels, so I'm asking for your help.

I've currently got three box fans with small filters on the back operating to try and pull some dust out of the air. I don't know if it is all that efficient, but it's better than nothing.

Old 01-01-16, 06:49 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,574 Likes on 1,411 Posts
Looks like an old equivilent of 2" Roxul Drainboard foundation insulation. Its often used on the exterior of the foundation waterproofing, then buried/backfilled.

I would probably suggest you just get a roll of housewrap, (cut the entire roll to 1" over the height of your wall with a skilsaw) and cover it. Use just a few 2" cap nails as needed to hold it up. (I'm assuming the insulation is 2" thick.) You could use painters plastic (very thin, light poly) but I think you still want to allow the wall to breathe. Housewrap is not a vapor barrier.

Old 01-01-16, 09:05 AM
P
Thank you. Never would have looked up that name.

It is definitely water repellent, according to the sell sheet. They're huge sheets.

Should I bond the bottom to the painted cement with construction adhesive and just nail the top?

Lastly, if I want to put some foam board up behind a few items about how much of an air gap would you say is sufficient for the tyvek to breath?

(For instance a wine rack near the wall)

Old 01-01-16, 10:27 AM
P
Largest intact piece I could find in the basement appears to be 4'x8'x1" .

Old 01-01-16, 12:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,574 Likes on 1,411 Posts
It doesn't need any air gap, and it will be better if there is none. Regarding the concrete, I would probably just leave the housewrap a few inches long on bottom then lay a 1x2 on top of it, pull it tight, then put a few tapcon screws or fluted masonry nails in it to tack it down. Cut off the housewrap that sticks out beyond the 1x2. IMO glue is pointless and will just make a mess.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: