Basement egress window question

Old 02-19-16, 07:32 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Basement egress window question

I'm planning an addition to my house. the foundation of the addition will be finished. So I need an egress window or windows. My question is how the foundation will handle these openings. I'm planning on two 48 x 48 egress windows (I know only one is required, but to also meet the window area and ventilation codes I need quite a bit of window area.) my question is the positioning of these large openings in the concrete wall. Should they be lower in the wall with some concrete/rebar over the top, or should they be open on the top, and just have sill plate covering them. The wall that these would be on would be the gable end, so the floor joist would run parallel to them. I would assume that a sill plate alone would be inadequate. would you frame a wooden header over these openings, or could you use some steel or similar? I know the foudation contractor will know, I just want to go in with an idea of how to design it.

Old 02-19-16, 07:37 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 383 Votes on 339 Posts
You'd want a header or lintel over the window. What type to use depends on a lot of factors. What is the foundation wall constructed of?

Old 02-19-16, 07:54 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The foundation will be poured concrete. I'm assuming the correct psi for residential construction. I live in the northeast. I'm trying to come up with a good plan before I apply for my building permit. A thick wooden header would mean the windows would be lower in the wall, meaning a deeper egress window well (not really a big deal but a shallower well would be better). Would there typically be notches in the concrete on either side of the window opening to support the lintel/header, or could this be accomplished by vertical wood lining the inside of the window opening.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: