Garage attic

Old 05-19-16, 11:01 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Garage attic

I have an attached 2 car garage with a drop ceiling installed. There is a door installed with a folding ladder to access the joists above the drop ceiling. I've never used this space before and found the previous owners of my home laid down some 1/2" OSB in parts to create a small storage space immediately surrounding the ladder door in the attic space. I also discovered they left some junk which I had to clear out...

I had decided to extend the attic floor to gain more storage space and purchased the necessary 1/2" OSB sheets based upon what I saw briefly in the attic. Trouble I've run into though is after clearing out the previous owner's junk I noticed the joists holding up the drop ceiling (which the original OSB was resting on) are 32" OC, not the 16" I had assumed. After further investigation, I discovered the previous owner "scabbed" some 2x4's between the joists to take the flex out of the OSB sheets.

I know this isn't a "living space", but I'm concerned 1/2" OSB will not be strong enough to create a safe attic floor given the 32" joist spacing. Without installing additional joists (which is NOT an option at this point) to be 16" OC, is there a way I can reinforce the space between the joists to SAFELY support the 1/2" OSB sheets I have? I'm less concerned about the strength of the joist spans as I don't anticipate large loads up there at all (they are 2x8s), but considering I already have the stock of 1/2" OSB, is there a safe and economical way I can add bracing between joists to properly support the floor?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-16, 11:59 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 118 Votes on 105 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

You could add 2xs [2x6 would be better than 2x4] from one joist to the next but there is a reason attics are built with no intention of adding flooring - the structure generally isn't stout enough to take much load.

Old 05-20-16, 07:43 AM
Group Moderator
Received 46 Votes on 43 Posts
Sorry but I would abandon this and see if you can return the OSB - you just don't have the structure up there to make it usable space.